10" or 13" latex mattress thickness for use with adjustable base

Based on prior research and information in this forum, which has been extremely helpful by the way, I’ve settled on purchasing from a reputable online retailer an all latex custom build mattress. I will use the mattress on an adjustable base.

I am just over 6 ft. and weigh 210lbs. My personal comfort preference is for firm over plush. Will a 10" mattress (three 3" latex layers) offer sufficient support for my body weight? Or, should I consider a 13" mattress having a fourth base layer of extra firm latex? I need to keep in mind the 400 lb. weight limit of the XL Twin adjustable base I am likely to purchase.

For medical reasons I sleep with my upper body significantly elevated. Brief statements on other mattress websites indicate that thinner mattresses may be better for adjustable beds because they better conform to the contours of the base. These are general comments, though, covering all mattress types. Any idea where I can find more information?

HI JTS,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the compliment! :cheer:

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be. There is certainly no reason that at your weight you would “need” more thickness than either of the mattresses you are considering but you may still “prefer” a mattress that is thicker or thinner depending on the design.

You’re certainly considering products using high quality materials (latex), so I wouldn’t have a concern with that.

I’m assuming you’ve tried out different latex mattress configurations in person, as you already have stated the comfort preference you like, so at that point person the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

Use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and memory foam and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

As for the thickness on an adjustable bed base, I usually recommend staying around “12” or so" for a mattress, as above that at times you can have issues with the ability of the product to bend. Innerspring units and their different constructions won’t be as “bendable” as all-latex products and I wouldn’t have a worry about either a 10" or a 13" product.

I look forward to learning about what you decide to do!

Phoenix