10" vs 13" latex

Hi everyone,
Narrowed down my search for a mattress to the component mattress offered by flexus comfort. What’s the consensus on whether 13" is worth it? For what it’s worth my wife and I are 190/150 lbs, both side and back sleepers. Should 10 inches be sufficient?

Hi taehun,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be. There is certainly no reason that at your weight you would “need” more thickness, but you may still “prefer” a mattress that is thicker or thinner depending on the design and layer arrangement.

Before making a final decision, I would place a phone call and have a detailed conversation with the people at Flexus and acquire their recommendations for your situation, as they will have the best frame of reference for your specific needs based upon their knowledge of their own products and a wealth of information from previous clients with similar needs.

As for “worth”, while price is certainly important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The value of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I was planning on calling the guys up at flexus tomorrow to have a chat - this just reinforced the need to talk to them.

Hi taehun74,

I’ll be interested to learn of what you find out.

Phoenix