100% cotton mattress pad that won't break the bank

Just got an organic pure echo mattress from my green mattress but now have to find a mattress cover/pad for it. It seems nearly impossible to find a 100% cotton mattress pad. Lots of them say it but then have polyester fill inside. Sincei got the organic mattress, don’t want anything synthetic in the pad.

It’s also for a for year old so thinking of putting two on to guard against accidents as I don’t trust the polyurethane laminates and other chemical treatments that they use for water proofing. When I bought the pure echo I almost bought their wool puddle pad but they advised me against it as it loses its water proof qualities as it gets washed. Anyone know a good 100% cotton mattress pad?

Hi PhilOoster,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and I think you made a great quality/value choice. Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

[quote]now have to find a mattress cover/pad for it. It seems nearly impossible to find a 100% cotton mattress pad. Lots of them say it but then have polyester fill inside. Sincei got the organic mattress, don’t want anything synthetic in the pad.

It’s also for a for year old so thinking of putting two on to guard against accidents as I don’t trust the polyurethane laminates and other chemical treatments that they use for water proofing. [/quote]

A cotton mattress protector may not be as water resistant as one of the thin membrane type protectors but there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here that can help you make the best possible choice for your circumstances It may also be worth considering one of the wool quilted/cotton protectors (either with or without a waterproof membrane) which would be more water resistant than just cotton.

There is also more about waterproof membranes in post #2 here. Two of the membrane protectors are certified organic and one of them is Oeko-Tex certified and I would generally consider all of the membranes to be “safe” but of course different people can also have different opinions about “how safe is safe enough” or the types of materials that they are comfortable with based on their own individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

I don’t keep a list of cotton mattress pads (vs stretch knit mattress protectors) although they would absorb more liquid than a stretch cotton protector. Pound for pound wool can absorb more liquid and still feel dry than cotton (it can absorb up to 30% of its weight in liquid and still feel dry) but you would prefer a cotton mattress pad then a google search on “organic cotton mattress pad” will bring up some organic cotton options that may be worth considering.

Perhaps one of the forum members that uses a cotton mattress pad for their children will see your post and share their comments as well.

Phoenix