14" Bed Frames?

So I have several different types of steel bed frames on the market. The ones that seem interesting are the ones that offer 14" of clearance so one can stash more junk under the beds and they also have 12 legs which they say can support “1000’s of pounds”…sure.

anyway…what I don’t get is that they are [apparently] advertised for the standard coil mattress industry and claim that with the use of such a frame, box springs are not necessary. I could never dream of just dumping a memory foam mattress straight on the frame, so that means I’ll need a foundation. Well if the top of the frame is 14" off the ground and the foundation is say 8", and I get a 12" mattress, that means the top of my bed would be 34" of the ground. Is this that you guys are running? Seems like having to hop up almost 3 feet to get into bed is not ideal.

Then you look at the “standard” metal frames that are like 6 something inches off the ground and they only have like 6 points of contacts.

Can I assume those are good enough for what I understand are heavy foam mattress?

Hi SC454,

These types of frames are designed to be used to replace a bedframe and foundation and a mattress can go directly on top of them without a foundation. A standard steel frame is about 7" - 7.5" and a standard foundation is about 8" - 9" in height so the platform under the mattress would be about 15" to 16.5" which would be in the same range as the frame / foundation you are considering. There are various versions of them that have more or less longitudinal wires and smaller gaps in between that are mentioned in the foundation post here. Most of them will hold between 2000 and 2500 lbs.

I would use a more heavy duty steel frame with good center support and a suitable foundation for a heavier mattress or heavier person (see post #10 here).

The wire grid foundation would be OK for a mattress that had a polyfoam support core (although I would tend to choose the more supportive versions with more wires) but I would be cautious about using them with an all latex mattress (see post #10 here).

Phoenix