14ILD or 19ILD For Topper?

Quick question (general question so decided not to post it in my earlier thread). I’ve been going back and forth on what ILD to choose for a topper for my future latex mattress. I want it to be soft (obviously from my choices) and provide adequate pressure relief without hurting support (as I’m sure is the goal of everyone here). I’ll be adjusting the layers under it accordingly to reach the desired goal.

Normally I’d say the 14ILD would be too soft and would cause issues with support, but then I thought of something. Would 14ILD be so soft (me being 5’10 190lbs) that I would basically pass right through it (enjoying the feeling of the softness but not being prevented from reaching the support layers)? On the same note, would 19ILD be firmer to the point of creating more resistance/preventing me from accessing as much of the support layer (when compared to the 14ILD that is)?

Of course in reality it depends on my weight/body type/etc. and is hard to guess exactly how I’ll respond to 14/19 but I just mean hypothetically does that make sense or am I completely off? lol

While we’re on the subject, I guess I should ask what does “support” really mean? As long as your spine is aligned and etc. you’re supported right? It doesn’t matter if you’re resting on the surface of the topper (firm) or 3+ inches deep into the bed (soft), as long as you’re properly aligned, right? That’s where the preference comes in?

Thanks in advance for setting me straight. :slight_smile:

Hi MAconi,

The type, thickness, and ILD of a latex layer that works best for you depends on your body type, sleeping style and personal preferences and on the other layers in your mattress. “Soft” is relative to each person’s perceptions and is very subjective.

Both 19 ILD and 14 ILD would be rather soft for your body type but it will also depend on the mattress design it’s used in.

If you are in doubt between two similar choices I would lean towards firmer rather than softer … and I would tend to use caution with 14 ILD unless it was a thin layer or your testing confirmed that you had a strong preference for it, and/or you were very light.

Yes the goal is good spinal alignment in all your sleeping positions and the means to get there is “support”. Some parts of your body that are heavier (such as the pelvis) need to be “stopped” from sinking in too far while others (such as the shoulders) need to be “allowed” to sink in for best alignment.

A few posts that may be worth reading since you are interested in “theory” are here and here and here and here and here which may help you connect a few more dots in how all the layers interact together.

Like the example of “floating in the air” and then slowly sinking into a mattress in the second link … you could sink into a mattress more deeply in every area of the body and still be in good alignment. If you only sink too deep (or not enough) in one area of your body you will be out of alignment.

Phoenix

Thanks for the links. It really helped me understand the “laws of physics” for latex mattresses lol. It’ll go a long way towards helping me finally create the mattress I want.

Thanks again. :slight_smile: