2 inch latex topper at Sleepy's

Hi Phoenix,

I want to buy something to make a college dorm bed more tolerable for my daughter, who gets hip pressure on hard beds and slept well on her quality mattress with latex top layer (Dixie’s foam in NYC) She’s curvy, heavier in the middle. She’s decided not to lug that mattress back and forth and just to get a topper for the dorm mattress. It would be so convenient to pick up the “2 inch latex topper” at Sleepy’s, but they have no warranty and can give no further info on content. What’s the worst case scenario if I just get that one, questions unanswered?

Thanks,
debmot

Hi debmot,

Is this the topper you are looking at?

If it is I would want to know the type and blend of the latex so you can make more meaningful comparisons to other toppers.

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to may be helpful in deciding on the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper that would work well for her but I would keep in mind that the mattress underneath a topper will also be a big factor in the feel and performance of a mattress/topper combination and the same topper can feel and perform very differently with different mattresses underneath them.

The worst case scenario is that the topper isn’t the best thickness or softness for her and doesn’t work for her on her dorm mattress so she couldn’t use it or would need to sell it at a significant discount.

The topper guidelines also include a list of some of the better topper sources I’m aware of and that are probably in a better value range (if you are making apples to apples comparisons between the same type and blend and thickness of latex) than the topper at Sleepys. Some of these also have good return or exchange policies that would allow her to change her topper for a different firmness level or even return it if your choice doesn’t work out as well as you hope so the risk of a topper purchase would also be lower.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix, that is really helping me figure this out. I realized the comfortable mattress she has now has 3" “bouncy latex” in the top layer (from Dixie Foam). I didn’t know what kind, but I’m guessing Talalay? So now I’m steering towards that and looking at the links you gave me, thinking twin xL 3" rejuvenite Talalay topper #19 ILD from mattresses.net. $279 plus shipping, not returnable. Any feedback on that? Also, how much do you think that will weigh? (re ease of carrying it by a not particularly strong person). Thank you so much!
Deb

Hi debmot,

I believe it would be Talalay but I would call them to confirm the type and firmness of the latex so you have a more accurate reference point.

It’s certainly a high quality material at a good price.

If you are looking a twin XL then it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of about 16 lbs plus the weight of the cover.

Phoenix

Hi Phoneix,
So re the core mattress at the dorm, this was the best info I could get: “There is no real way of checking the materials, but from being in the dorms and doing work throughout them, we can make an educated guess and say that it is your typical box-spring mattress with a cotton quilt material. They are medium firm and not uncomfortable in any way” So I guess that’s not that helpful, and we proceed with that as an unknown factor…

Also I called Dixie Foam and they said the top layer of the cloud rest is 3" 100% talalay ILD #14.

OK, so assuming we should stick with 3" and not be cheap and go for 2" (?), topper choices at mattresses.net are:

1)the TwinXL 3" Rejuvenite Talalay Latex Mattress Topper, made by latex int., ILD # 19 ($279 with cover)

2)Natural Latex Mattress Pad Topper by latexco, ILD #25 ($179, no cover)

3)Natural Talalay Latex Mattress Topper, ILD # 20-24 ($259, no cover).

So, my questions are:

1. 3" vs 2"? (body weight of sleeper less than 150#, was comfortable on 3" talalay ILD # 14)
  2. Is it worth $49 extra for a cover when it will be under a mattress pad and can be moved, stored in a cheap mattress bag?
  3. Re ILD #'s, if #14 was comfortable, is #19 the best choice? will the others be significantly different?

Any other input is welcome! Thank you so much for all your help!

Debmot

Hi debmot,

[quote]1) 3" vs 2"? (body weight of sleeper less than 150#, was comfortable on 3" talalay ILD # 14)
2) Is it worth $49 extra for a cover when it will be under a mattress pad and can be moved, stored in a cheap mattress bag?
3) Re ILD #'s, if #14 was comfortable, is #19 the best choice? will the others be significantly different?[/quote]

There is no way to know for certain until he tries it so my “best” suggestions would be to either use a similar topper to what he is used to if it works well for him (3" of 14 ILD Talalay) or to use the topper guidelines in post #8 here if you think that a different thickness or firmness level may work better for him.

I would add the cover because it can help prevent the latex from oxidizing and breaking down more rapidly over the longer term. Post #3 here can give you some idea of the effects of using different types of coverings around latex.

If 3" of 14 works well then I’m not sure why you are considering changing it. 3" of 19 ILD would be “one step” firmer and while it is also in a soft range for most people it would be noticeably firmer. It would still be “in the range” that would work well “on average” for most people of your son’s weight but the feel and performance of a topper also depends on what is underneath it so his own experience will really be the only way to know for certain.

Phoenix