2 inch memory foam topper on latex mattress

Pheonix,

My apologies if you’ve gone over this topic already. I’ve purchased a 9 inch dunlop mattress that has a xtrafirm-firm 6 inch core and 3 inch medium dunlop comfort layer.

I’m considering a 2 inch 4lb density memory form topper to get some benefits of memory foam when i’m in the memory foam kind mood, but also to help preserve the comfort layer of the mattress.

I contemplated between a medium dunlop, medium talalay and firm talalay comfort layers. I settled on the dunlup because of durability questions I’ve read about in relation to the natural talalay options, but now I’ve read that dunlop is more likely to develop body impressions. What are your thoughts about talalay and dunlop in this regard?

Would a 2inch memory foam topper be a good choice here for comfort and/or preserving the latex?

Hi Walkin,

You can read more about the relative durability of different types of latex in post #2 here. I personally treat the choice between Talalay and Dunlop as a personal preference and I would consider them to be “equals” in terms of durability with the exception that 100% natural Talalay in lower ILD’s may be a little less durable but I would also consider that all latex is a very durable material compared to other foam types (polyfoam and memory foam). You can see a video of a Dunlop latex mattress that is almost 50 years old here and both 100% natural Dunlop and blended Talalay have a long history of lasting decades (see this post from a member about their parent’s mattress that is still in use over 50 years later and post #9 here as well).

I personally wouldn’t choose a memory foam topper to “preserve” the latex (it’s already a very durable material) but because I either wanted a softer sleeping surface or because I liked the “feel” of memory foam. A soft topper on a mattress that is already a good match for you in terms of PPP can increase the risk of alignment issues. You can see the guidelines I would suggest when choosing a topper in post #8 here.

Phoenix