2 Inch Vs. 3 Inch Talalay Mattress Topper

So glad I found your site!

I am 5’6", 125 lbs and on my third mattress in 3 months. Now, after much research on the web, I’m thinking about the following and would love your help with making my decision. Some background first. I am currently sleeping on a Simmons Beautyrest World Class luxury firm with plush top, which sits upon a platform, so no box spring. This mattress is almost unbearably hard for me. My previous two mattresses were: 1) Sterns and Foster luxury plush euro pillowtop, which turned out to be too soft and therefore provided no support for my lumbar area and 2) Simmons Beautyrest Black Hybrid with memory foam. The memory foam “melted away” from my lumbar area, also providing no support. I was unable to sleep on either of the first two mattresses beyond 5 days and it’s looking like I’m heading in the same direction with the current one.

After pouring over your site I’m thinking of adding a Talalay mattress topper to address the issue of the Beautyrest being too firm, but - in light of the fact that the two mattresses I had before this one did not support my lumbar area - I’m having a hard time deciding between the two inch or the three inch topper. Any suggestions as to the considerations that should be factored into this decision would be so appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi mindys,

There are too many unknowns and variables involved to make specific topper suggestions because softness and firmness can be subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual perceptions as well as the firmness/softness of the mattress underneath it which will also affect how soft or firm your mattress/topper combination feels.

The only way to know whether any mattress/topper combination will work well for you with any certainty will be based on your own personal experience so the return/exchange policy of the store you are dealing with will become a more important part of any purchase choice for a topper that you can’t test in person on your mattress before you buy it.

Having said that … post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Phoenix

Thank you!