2 month old Sealy posturepedic plus Satisfied II ultra firm, can I use for DIY?

This practically new “extra firm” offers almost no support. The encased coils seem to be firm, I can press down into the top layers and when I hit the coils it feels firm. But it’s killing my back. I can’t return it,. Can I cut it open and take out the encased coils and just get rid of the rest, then buy the rest of the DIY mattress stuff?

150lb male, 6’ tall. I could abandon DIY for now, and just buy a firm latex topper and hope for the best. I don’t know how to guess if 2" or 3", and between medium-extra firm. I’ll search more and remove this part if I find the answer.

2 concerns I’m aware of: If fiberglass is in the mattress (“Sealy rep’s said there is no fiberglass in any of their mattresses”)
And if the Sealy Response Pro HD Encased Coil system is even worth using.

I could just try to sell it as a used mattress with adjustable base.

Add on request, though I may just have to do more research and find out on my own. I’ll still need to find out what Latex I’ll want to add. I’ve had a tempurpedic (2008, $2200 queen, all I know). And a Pure Latex Bliss queen, got it for $800 at the BedMart Outlet. Both of them were great support/cushion, for 3 years, then they just died. The tag on the latex bliss said 60% latex (I found out at the very end), so I’m hoping that’s why it didn’t last as long.

Hi kirbylini.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear about the lack of support you are receiving from a supposedly firm mattress. You are a light weight sleeper, so it is extra concerning that you’re reporting feeling poor support on the mattress. I’d be interested to hear more about that experience. Are you feeling like you’re sinking too deeply in? Or is it something else?

I was looking at a diagram of the mattress. It’s hard to say for sure what you’d be able to do in terms of a DIY. The coil system of a mattress is rarely ever the weak link, so in theory…yes, you could absolutely gut the mattress and keep the coils. My concern is whether or not that coil system is glued to the foam layers. If so, it may be fairly difficult to get them out.

I’d be happy to try and help you narrow down your latex options as well. Are you a back, stomach, side, or combo sleeper? Do you know any brands of mattresses you’ve previously slept on that you enjoyed? What is it that you are looking to get/feel on your mattress?

NikkiTMU

Firstly, thank you for taking your time. This is all making less sense to me as days go on. Feel free to give me some bullet points to focus on that will be most helpful to you, to avoid this long of a post. If this post is just too long, I can rewrite it later with more focused info, and hopefully either “good” mattresses I used/like or other concrete info to help.

Current/past beds: Last night was the worst sleep ever. It finally felt too firm (2 nights in a row now). My entire body felt like gravity pancaked me into the bed, and every joint in my body needed to be stretched/cracked. As if I was pressure forced down and it made my whole body feel locked that way. This was the sealy PP plus, XF queen 12" on adjustable base (googling suggested the adjustable base could help, but I’m guessing it’d add minor tweaks and probly not enough of a change)

Sealy: Both the XF and medium felt good for 1-1.5 months new, then the medium definitely felt too soft, I woke up everyday feeling like my back spent the whole night tense and working out. The XF did this at about the same time, but now it’s way too firm, feels like all the foam layers compacted tremendously (the hip foam compacted frst, so that caused the initial back pain, perhaps?). Encased coils seeming extra firm still. Not sure I like them, but hard to say in this situation. The 3 year latex is definitely preferred though.

Older, good non-spring beds (short lifespam though) The sealy XF was good for 1.5months~, then it felt the same that my first T-pedic and latex had (once they were 3-4 years old), like it sagged at lower back and was going to continue to be too soft there for years to come. The latex felt wonderful, but I used a “snore app”, turns out I was screaming in excruciating pain multiple times a night and I had no idea. I could hear me do a lower back stretch then just going back to sleep. But that awful scream is hard to forget.
tempurpedic and latex after about 3-4 years of use (from a tempur-p, $2,200 in 2008-09 queen, don’t know model. It felt pretty soft (once warm obv.), and had perfect support, for 3 years.
And (?medium-firm? pure latex bIiss, queen 8", maybe “10 ($800 from bedmart outlet, probably not helpful narrowing it down, but just in case). I put my old latex sheets onto my 12” sealy - they don’t fit at all, so 8" or 10" def seeming right. Medium-firm if that’s an option (guessing thogh). I can e-mail the company and hope they’ll narrow it down. It all made my lower back feel strained and like I spent the whole “sleeping” night just tensing those lower back muscles, then a bad office chair and no lumbar car chair made it all worse. (oddly, about .75" of shredded M-foam was enough lumbar support)

Sealy XF now: It feels like all the top foam layers are compacted, almost non-existant. It’s just me on the bed, and waking up feeling like EVERY, SINGLE. tendon/bones/joints - all around (most noticeable at whole back, neck, knee and shoulders. The knee and hip pain/almost bruise is only on the side I slept on.

I could go in to a store and try out different latex mattresses to know which ones feel a good comfort/support, probably a medium/medium-firm I guess. That should help you have more info on suggestions, yes? I tried a kingsdown plush, but it has a soft topper since it was abnormally firm compared to their test in-store. I liked it, was a little soft, but seems to have good support.

Woodfloor, blankets, pads, not great - I tried sleeping on the floor, with a 2" thermarest backpacking pad, 2" zinus memory foam, 3 blankets, yoga mat, etc. Many combo’s of them. Support for back was 9/10, but 3 weeks in it hurt my shoulders/hips, so hardwood floors + 4-6" of pesudo comfort layers didn’t work out.

https://imgur.com/a/AlgMwYd My old latex, after some surgery. And the bedmart “smart match” bed testing thingy suggested these, or I initially liked them

Main ideas for fixes:

Basically, I can buy a medium(?), med-firm? - 2", maybe 3" latex topper and hope that helps with my sealy XF. or I can return it for a huge loss. It’s worthless to me now anyway though.

Or I can buy a really nice camping pad ($150~, need one anyway) to tide me over until I can buy the DIY latex bed.

(If affordable, the ideal solution now, but I think it’ll be out of my price range) DIY build: Since I’m 6", 150lb (142-165 range over years). Do you guess this might work for me? Base: 1" XF foam, 4" ~firm* support (dunlop) → 1-2" medium-firm latex, then 1-2" medium-soft (talalay?) maybe?
I feel like I could even go 1-3" less and it’d be enough. I’m hoping it would last for many many years, though I know it’d require getting new layers after a few years, but beats buying a whole new mattress (Maybe replacing zones, like going with 3-4" mid layer, just for the center zone, years later if the back pain problem kicks in at the dreaded 3-year mark), but also just anything to help cheaply* get something that I can sleep on.

Hopefully this was useful info. I’ll try to answer further questions more directly. Just had trouble with beds for 12 years now, hoping this wall of text can help.

I think my latex mattress, pamper or nature. link https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/pure-latex-bliss-mattress-specifications-construction

PLB - Peace
LatexBLISS uses 450-480 Gram Weight fabric
LatexBLISS Milliken?s Paladin Fire Resistant Barrier
1" Natural Talalay Latex 28 ILD
6" Dunlop Core Synthetic Latex
1" Support Stabilization Base Extra Firm Talalay latex
8" Mattress Height
9" Steel Foundation
17" Overall Mattress & Foundation
20 Years Limited Warranty 10/10

PLB - Pamper
1" Natural Talalay Latex 19 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex 40 ILD
8" Mattress Height

PLB - Nature *Nature sounds the most familiar, so maybe this one
2" Natural Talalay Latex 19 ILD
1" Natural Talalay Latex 28 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex 36 ILD
10" Mattress Height

PLB - Nutrition
2" Natural Talalay Latex 28 ILD
2" Natural Talalay Latex 19 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex 36 ILD
11" Mattress Height
9" Steel Foundation
20" Overall Mattress & Foundation

I think these are 1 year newer models, since at the bottom it says they had used polyurathane previously. But finding info that far back is tough. Will e-mail company and ask for help identifying if it will help you. Or maybe bedmart will have the receipt still, though thats like 8-9 years ago.

Hi kirbylini.

Thank you for the detailed reply!

First, based on what you described and conferring with my team on a best way forward, changing your bed is probably unnecessary.

Could you please let me know what kind of foundation you are using for your Sealy?
Also, what is your pillow set up?

I believe you may very well find the solution to your current mattress issues in a topper. As a light weight side sleeper, I’d suggest looking into plush or medium 2"-3" latex toppers as a start. In general a good starting point for a good comfort layer for a side sleeper is 3" and then depending on weight, body shape, preferences, and the firmness of the support layers, to go up or down from there. Most side sleepers will fall in the range of from 2" -4". Without an appropriate comfort layer, a side sleeper will end up with pressure points during the course of the night and could have symptoms of numbness, soreness, localized redness, or end up tossing and turning all night as your body tries to relieve the pressure.

NikkiTMU

You’re right. I ended up buying a super cheap bamboo topper and I instantly started sleeping 7-8 hours a night and feeling good. The topper went dead after 2 nights, but it gave me the info I needed at least. So I ordered a 3" soft (20 ILD) latex from SleepOnLatex. Was tough deciding between 2" or 3", I’m hoping 3" is right or I’ll be going back to the classy “Old sleeping bag topper”. I asked the company about 1" medium and 2" soft, they said soft is a much better idea. But at least I’ll know what the top 3" of a DIY latex feels like.

Thank you much, I’m glad that your suggestion matched what I was guessing was best. Here’s hoping it’s good now and I (respectfully) won’t need to come back here for at least 5 years.

Answers, even though hopefully resolved:
My pillow is a shredded foam tempurpedic, probably ~50% of the stuffing taken out. Planning to try shredded latex or buckwheat sometime.

The foundation/base is a 3-piece wood platform, adjustable(head). Seems solid and even.
Free* from MattressFirm! It’s 3" too narrow, and they never mentioned no returns, so that $350 is the only reason I didn’t return the mattress. I feel like that’s intentional and it makes me hate them more.) But I think I’m done with them and will gladly keep telling people how much they suck.