2" topper vs 1" (layers if necessary) of talalay

Hi all

I received my natural talalay topper from KTT last week.
Originally you helped me choose a 2" low-20s ILD (20-24 Latex Int’l N2)
For various reasons I ended up buying a 3" N3 firmness (24-28 ILD I think.)

It was WAY too much foam for my stomach sleeping (stomach/hips are sinking and neck is killing) - and was also a little too firm for side sleeping.
My bad.
KTT has even great about letting me switch it out.

But now I’m wondering, should I start with 1"? If I have to add another 1" later what would that feel like vs a 2" topper?
(I’m also thinking of asking for 1.5" if they make it.)

I don’t want to go too thin and bottom out onto my incredible hard tufted mattress.

• Also, in the warmer weather I noticed the dunlop continuous pour topper I’m using in the interim definitely sleeps hotter. I understand talalay isn’t as hot but I do believe that latex softens in warmth, and/or it breaks in a little at first. This is making me wonder if I should go thinner but stay with the N3 firmer ILD.

I know this will be personal preference but ant insight on thickness and ILD you can offer would be appreciated!

Dick from KTT and I figured something out to try:

He’s sending me a 1" N2
I’ll drape a wool/cotton cover I have hanging around here over it for heat/a little extra firmness and thickness

If that isn’t enough comfort he and I could either add another of the same (1")
Or we could do a 1" N4 or N5 UNDER the 1" N2.

Any thoughts, please feel free to comment

Hi LookingNow,

In “theory”, two 1" toppers may feel a little bit softer than a single 2" topper if all of them were the same ILD and the same type of latex because they can respond a little more independently but most people would wouldn’t notice much difference if they noticed any at all.

Dunlop is typically less breathable than Talalay but it would also depend on the thickness and softness of each topper which can make a difference in how insulating the foam would be. Any kind of foam will be less breathable and temperature regulating than natural fibers and there are some people that tend to sleep warm if they sleep directly on any type of foam … even latex (again depending on the thickness and softness). Your mattress protector, sheets, and bedding can also have a significant effect on the sleeping temperature of your mattress. There is more about the different variables that can combine together to affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here.

Your plan makes sense to me and it’s certainly better to go a little bit too thin and add to it if necessary than to go to thick which doesn’t give you many options afterwards.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, for the info and also for reminding me of things I’ve read here. Sometimes when I re-visit an idea I forget some of the particulars!
Best