2 vs. 3 latex layers

So, after announcing I think I’ve made a decision, I am rethinking it. It really is between 2 online retailers. One has 2 ta :whistle: laly latex layers, 6 inch and 3. The other has 3 layers of varying choices, both talalay and dunlop. One 2 inch layer and 2 three inch layers. I’m nervous about the 2 layers because if you need adjusting your options are limited and exchanging isn’t free. On the other hand, who really needs 3 layers? And do they slip? For reference, I am 5’9" 130 lbs and my husband is 6’3" 225 lbs. We both are pretty much straight up and down (body shape). I prefer a soft mattress. My husband says he prefers a softer mattress as well but he’s a big guy. We are both approaching late 50s.

The 3 layers cost slightly more but exchanging is cheaper. I know I want a soft talalay comfort layer but I’m not sure 2 inches would be enough. It’s the support layer I’m questioning. I don’t know how firm to go. Will a medium core (6 inch ) be too firm for me? I think my husband would be fine with either as long as its not too firm.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I forgot to say to go 100% natural talalay vs. Blended.

Hi sbge,

There is more about the pros and cons of a single 6" core vs two separate 3" layers in post #2 here.

Latex is quite “sticky” and if you have unglued layers that are enclosed by a tight fitting cover that is suitable for your mattress then they are unlikely to shift in normal use. If for any reason they do shift over a longer period of time of if you are moving the mattress then it’s simple to unzip the cover and “wave” them back into position again.

[quote] For reference, I am 5’9" 130 lbs and my husband is 6’3" 225 lbs. We both are pretty much straight up and down (body shape). I prefer a soft mattress. My husband says he prefers a softer mattress as well but he’s a big guy. We are both approaching late 50s.

The 3 layers cost slightly more but exchanging is cheaper. I know I want a soft talalay comfort layer but I’m not sure 2 inches would be enough. It’s the support layer I’m questioning. I don’t know how firm to go. Will a medium core (6 inch ) be too firm for me? I think my husband would be fine with either as long as its not too firm.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse”. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about blended Talalay vs 100% natural Talalay in post #2 here that along with your phone conversations may help you decide between them.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

[quote=“sbge” post=61704] my husband is 6’3" 225 lbs. … My husband says he prefers a softer mattress as well
[/quote]

With just 6" of latex, 225 lbs. do not generally find a mattress soft. The heavier and boxier (I know you said you are long and lean) the person is, the deeper they sink in. Six inch doesn’t give you much room to make the mattress both soft and supportive. Just like 2-1 shampoo, you can combine the two functions together, but one of the jobs will be overpowering the other job if there isn’t enough space to concentrate on your preference.

You mentioned a soft mattress twice, so it sounds like you would want the bottom layer to be the supporting layer and the top two layers to focus on softness.

Hi diynaturalbedding,

Both of the mattresses they are looking at have 9" of latex so they would both have enough thickness. One of them has a 6" core and a 3" comfort layer and the other one has three 3" layers.

Phoenix

Yes, indeed. Both of those 9" mattresses will give them plenty of room to play with the softness. Six inches of latex sounds great for the budget, but many find 9" to be more plush. If one is a minimalist and not a sensitive sleeper, I could see 6" work well. However, as sbge specifically pointed out, they wanted it soft, which is not a minimalist preference. Nine inches of latex gives them one more layer of latex than a 6" does to play with.

Are you telling me the title of this thread didn’t ask about the difference between 6" and 9" of latex? If it doesn’t, I have thoroughly misinterpreted the post. Hah.

Hi diynaturalbedding,

One of the mattresses they were considering has a 6" bottom layer and a 3" top layer (total of 9") and the other one has three layers that are each 3" (also a total of 9") so they were asking about the pros and cons of having a 6" support core vs two 3" bottom layers :).

Phoenix

Yes. Phoenix is correct. 6 inches wouldn’t do for us older folks. I was questioning the need for 3 separate, 3 inch layers. (TOTAL OF 9). But thanks for the comments and I welcome any thoughts AND EXPERIENCE FROM from others.

Sbge