2008 Tempurpedic Rhapsody bed

The Rhapsody we bought in 2008 has become totally unusable due to sagging in the middle. I contacted the warranty, and after showing them a photo of over 1 inch sag in the middle of the bed they are replacing my bed.

Since they no longer make my bed, they gave me the choices of Contour Supreme, Cloud Prima, or the Tempur Flex.

When I went to the mattress store I felt like goldilocks - This bed is too hard, this bed is too soft, this bed just isn’t right (the one with the coils).

My bed has been squishy for so long perhaps I just don’t remember how firm it was, but the supreme definitely feels a lot harder than i remember, although I do like a firm bed.

I have been googling to find which model would come in closest, but I cant seem to find the old Rhapsody specs, just the newer beds with the same name.

Anyone have an idea which model would be closest to my old Rhapsody?

Thanks!

Hi jainasolo,

Tempurpedic isn’t completely transparent about the materials and components in their new mattresses but as far as I know … the specs of each of the mattresses you mentioned (and some that you didn’t mention) are as follows …

Old RhapsodyBed:
Comfort Layers
1.2" TEMPUR-HD 7.1 LB Comfort layer
2.8" TEMPUR Support layer 5.3lb
Support System
Dual Airflow Base
4" 2.2lb Convoluted foam
4" 2.2lb Convoluted foam

Firmness rating was “medium firm”.

Current Rhapsody Luxe:
Comfort Layers
2" TEMPUR-HD 7.1LB
2" TEMPUR Material 5.3LB

Support System
Dual Airflow Base
4 3/4" Airflow Base layer 2.0LB
4 3/4" Airflow Base Layer 2.0LB

Firmness rating is “medium firm”

Contour Elite:
Comfort Layers
1.2" Tempur HD 7.1 LB
2.3" Tempur Material 5.3 LB

Support System
Dual Airflow system
4.5" Airflow Base layer 2.0 LB
4.5" Airflow Base layer 2.0 LB

Firmness rating is “medium firm”

Contour Supreme:
Comfort Layers
1" TEMPUR Comfort layer 5.3LB
2.4" TEMPUR Support layer 5.3LB

Support System
3" Poly foam Base 2.0LB
5.1" Poly foam Base 2.0LB

Firmness rating is “firm”

Cloud Prima:
Comfort Layers
1.2" Tempur-ES 4.1LB
2" Tempur Material 5.3LB

Support System
2.75" Poly foam Base 2.0LB
4.5" Poly foam Base 2.0LB

Firmness rating is “medium soft”

Based on this your old Tempurpedic RhapsodyBed would probably be somewhere in between the current Rhapsody Luxe and the Contour Elite both in terms of their overall firmness and in the type and density of the memory foam layers and their overall design so I’m not sure why they aren’t offering you the choice of one of these two (other than that they are more costly because they use higher quality/density materials).

The Contour Supreme would most likely feel firmer than your old RhapsodyBed (and it doesn’t use any 7.1 lb memory foam) and the Cloud Prima would probably feel softer than your old RhapsodyBed (and uses 4 lb memory foam in the top layer instead of the 7.1 lb memory foam) but your own careful testing would be the most reliable way to compare which of these will feel “closest” to your memory of your old RhapsodyBed when it was new.

Tempur Flex:

You didn’t mention which of the Tempur Flex mattresses you are considering (there are 3 different models) but they all have an innerspring support core and a polyfoam transition layer (vs a memory foam transition layer) so they all have a different design and a different and more resilient “feel” than any of their more traditional memory foam mattresses so none of them would “feel” the same as your old RhapsodyBed.

You can see some comments about the Tempur Flex mattresses in post #2 here.

The Tempur Flex Elite is the softest and they rate it as “medium soft”. The Tempur Flex Supreme is in the middle and they rate it as “medium”. The Tempur Flex Elite is the firmest and they rate it as “medium firm”.

Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

While they would all feel different from your RhapsodyBed … based on their firmness ratings the Tempur Flex Elite would probably be the closest in terms of overall firmness to your RhapsodyBed but again your own personal experience may be different from others or from Tempurpedic’s firmness ratings…

Phoenix