25M seeking Mattress (Fredericksburg/Richmond VA area)

Hello Mattress Underground,

I just moved out and with my first paycheck and savings I’m looking to buy a decent mattress. I slept on a full at home that was quite old, which I didn’t even take. What I do have is a nice hardwood twin bedframe. As for my frame: tall (6’2"), relatively thin (175 lb), and primarily a back sleeper. I’m looking for something that will work for me but I’m new to this area so I don’t know where to shop or anyone to really ask.

I did some research (apparently not enough) and went to an S store. I tried some beds, but fortunately did not buy. I asked for something firmer and tried a few mattresses that I didn’t sink into very well, even the one memory foam was not very good. The sales staff did not mention “layers” and was rather pushy, not to mention I didn’t really know what to ask. I got a bad vibe and after coming here as well as Sleep Like The Dead and The Old Bed Guy, I’m glad I did not buy. I am looking for a good place to buy a mattress in the Fredericksburg or Richmond areas. I can make a trip to southern Washington DC or Baltimore if necessary. I am also not opposed to buying online. (Indeed, I almost bought this before seeing the comments about the construction of the mattress changing, which directed me to do some reading here. This and Bed In a Box also looked decent to me). My budget is the $500-$700 range and it would seem that latex and memory foam cores would work for me.

Can anyone provide me with recommendations on where to buy locally or specific mattresses I can just buy online? (Some of the ones at sleepez.com are looking nice to me.)

Hi MattL,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make specific recommendations for someone else based on a formula, specs (yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but the mattress shopping tutorial here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to know “how” to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones. The tutorial post also includes links to lists of the better online manufacturers and retailers I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Fredericksburg area are listed in post #9 here and for the Richmond area are listed in post #5 here. The Baltimore list is here and the Washington, DC/Northern Virginia list is here.

As you probably know from your reading here Dreamfoam is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them in terms of their quality, value, and service and their transparency and they compete well with the best in the industry. You can see my thoughts about the foam density (and the particular “review” you are mentioning which is very misleading) in post #2 here.

Plushbeds is a “better than average” choice compared to most mainstream manufacturers but for most people they wouldn’t be in the same “value” range as some of the other options that are available to you (see post #2 here).

You can see my comments about BedinaBox here. Their memory foam mattresses use lower density memory foam than I would be comfortable with (see the guidelines here).

Posts #3 and #4 here includes some of the better options for “lower budget” latex and latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of and post #4 here includes some of the better options for lower budget memory foam and polyfoam mattresses I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix, you’ve been very helpful and sourced me some very good and thorough information. This is an update and another question. I spoke to Chuck via email and I’m going to go ahead with the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress. I managed to procure a decent full bed frame for less than a decent twin frame or foundation would have cost me, so I’m bumping up to a full mattress.

My question at this point is what else do I need besides bedding? (Fortunately, I have a wonderful pillow already.) Maybe a mattress protector? I know this is The Mattress Underground, but perhaps someone can tell me about any additional essential items or highly recommended items that would compliment my complete bed setup?

Hi MattL,

Congratulations on your new mattress … you certainly made a high quality/value choice :slight_smile:

Outside of bedding and a pillow which you already have … the only other things you need are a suitable support system under your mattress and a mattress protector.

If you have a steel bedframe then you would need a suitable foundation to go on top of it to support the mattress. If you have a wooden bedframe that only has about 5 cross slats or so with wide gaps between the slats then you would also need a foundation on the bedframe to support the mattress. If you have a slatted platform bed that is suitable for using directly under the mattress (the slats aren’t more than about 4" - 5" apart and preferably less would be much better) then it would be fine by itself. There is more about support systems and foundations in the foundation post here.

You would also need a suitable mattress protector to protect your mattress from stains and the body fluids and oils that we release each night, to protect against spills and accidents, and to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. It will also protect your warranty because mattress warranties are usually voided with any type of stain on a mattress. There is more about the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here but the one you linked would certainly be suitable and the thin membrane type of protectors are a very popular choice because they are lower cost, mostly waterproof, semi breathable, and have little effect on the feel of your mattress.

Phoenix