2nd chance at the perfect Latex Mattress

Hi all,

I was on the forum about 4 years ago learning about Latex and how to build the perfect bed. I don’t think I succeeded 100% - my wife has never really been too happy with the bed (says too firm) and I agree it could have been softer. I never really “sank in” and got the “on a cloud” feeling. However, I do prefer a somewhat firm bed.

We are upgrading to a king now that we have a house and Im in the early stages of thinking about what to do for a mattress. I definitely want to go the latex route, but am not certain I want to take chances in doing another DIY build. Trying out mattresses locally would be great and probably the safest route, but I’m on a budget (not sure what yet) and my understanding is the best deals can be had online.

Here was my configuration from 4 years ago, hoping someone can point out some of the “mistakes” and make suggestions on how I should proceed.

Everything was from foambymail / foamdistributing

1. 1" Full 54x75 - Soft - Talalay Latex 5.6LB
  2. 2" Full 54x75 - Medium - Talalay Latex 5.6LB
  3. 1" Full 54x75 - Medium - Talalay Latex 5.6LB
  4. HD High Quality Foam - Full - 54x75 x2"
    5)Lux High Quality Foam - Full - 54x75 x4"

Thanks!
Ryan

Hi Liquidskin,

I’m not so sure that the best “deals” can always be found online because this will always depend on the parts of each person’s personal value equation that are most important to them.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which will give you a much more realistic way to assess “value” of a mattress purchase than just the raw material cost of a mattress.

Post #2 here also has more about the different ways to buy a mattress that can help you minimize the risks involved with each of them since the “risk” of a mattress purchase is also part of its value.

I think that the biggest mistake you may have made was overemphasizing the importance of price and mistaking the cost of a mattress (or the materials) with the “value” of a mattress purchase. This may have led you to believe that the value of what you purchased was better than it actually was (it was never the best “match” for your wife for example in terms of PPP and how well you sleep on a mattress is the most important part of its “value”) .

I would also read read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything else from FBM or considering them as a supplier and the sad truth is that what you believed you were purchasing was different from what you actually purchased because FBM doesn’t sell Talalay latex … they only say they do.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you are dealing with an unreliable supplier for the sake of their prices then it can be even more difficult because you have an additional layer of uncertainty because what you believe you are buying (either in terms of the type of latex or the firmness level of the latex) is different from what you actually receive and if you need to make changes to your layers so that your design is more suitable for you in terms of PPP then your reference points would be skewed because you would be basing the changes you make on a belief that your current layering is different from what it actually is.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area and the tutorial post also includes a link to the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them make latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (that they describe accurately) with a range of different designs, options, features, return or exchange policies, and prices that may have better “value” than a DIY approach.

Phoenix

thank you, phoenix - great information as always. I’m working with a larger budget now, compared to 4+ years ago when I built this Full mattress. While price i still important, I’m not sure i want to go the “adventurous” route again and deal with the trial and error that comes with that. my zip code is 08802 and I’d be willing to do a bit of traveling to get to the right shop.

Hi liquidskin,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton areas (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #6 here.

Phoenix

thanks phonenix, ill reach out to some of these retailers. any tips on how to decide between a local shop vs online options such as sleepez, spindle mattress, etc? ive read some good things about these shops…

Hi liquidskin,

You can read more about the pros and cons of an online vs a local purchase in post #2 here and in this topic. If you are considering both then I would first narrow your choices down to a list of finalists (both online and local) that are all choices between “good and good” (where you would seriously consider purchasing any of them) and then if there are no clear winners between them at this point I would make a final choice between them (see post #2 here) based on a combination of “best judgement”, your personal testing on your local options, your conversations with each online manufacturer/retailer you are dealing with, and all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix