3" Coco Latex or Latex Green ?????

Should I get the Coco Organic Latex in #" molds or Latex Green cut from a 6" core?? Firm Base , Med Top : Is 6 " enough for comfort or should one go 9" to have an additional buffer not sinking directly into the firm layer ???

Hi Turtlebed,

These types of “should I” questions are preference choices that only you can answer either with your own personal testing or experience or on your “best judgement” based more detailed conversations with an online retailer or manufacturer (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

Phoenix: I agree the only way is testing the mattress. The Coco latex in a 3" mold would have a more specific ILD since they are not cut from a 6" core : Is that the case? Question: Since the Coco latex is in individual 3" molds : Would the Organic Latex not come into non organic environments since it was not being cut ? The only reason was thinking the 9" would be better with soft on top would allow me more configurations , since the cost is only a $300 difference . On the 6 inch mattress , if sftness is needed I would have to add a topper which would be a separate layer not in the mattress case . Thanks for listening

Hi Turtlebed,

You can see my reply to the same question in post #38 here.

Phoenix

i did it ! : Paid for being delivered

Phoenix; ; i changed my mattress order to the 9’ Firm/Med/Soft organic coco latex mattress. paid for and being delivered . made the change because that was the the original configuration that I really liked when I first started mattress shopping then let mattress height get in the way, LOL … I went with coco, close ILD ranges to what I tested, liked the idea that the cores were not cut and came out of individual 3" molds. Sleeping Organic agreed that the individual cores look real nice . Being certified organic latex , the cores are not cut in non organic facilities , which gives coco better organic control of their latex. Sleeping Organic is a Good Company , Brandon is Great! They are price competitive and match lower pricing. Know I got a fair price! from all my research, feel I made the right decision and appreciate all the help you gave me , do not know how you put up with me LOL.

Hi Turtlebed,

I thought you had “done it” in your other post but I guess that there was some final tweaking needed so I’ll say “congratulations on your new mattress” once again :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback about Brandon and Sleeping Organic as well and I also agree with you about their knowledge and the guidance and service they provide to their customers.

I think you did well!

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix: The Coco Full size Latex mattress arrived from Sleeping Organic 3? Firm, 3"medium , 3" soft in organic quilted cover .I have been sleeping on the mattress now for 1 week . When the mattress arrived one side is softer than the other . The top soft layer arrived compressed by the tape, squishing the latex . I gave it a few days , but one side of the mattress was noticiably softer than the other, the other side of the mattress seemed fine. I contacted Sleeping Organic and was asked to send photos , which I did . They agreed the latex was not level and was defective. Sleeping Organic will be sending a new soft layer out . After sleeping on the mattress a few more days , today I noticed the center is sinking and the good side is no longer good. I am frustrated and disappointed . The Coco Latex seems to be defective . Even though Coco Latex is made in individual molds the full size was cut down from a queen size core.? In addition the soft core seemed less dense and lighter than other soft cores I tested with the same ILD range? I just emailed sleeping organic again, to inform them i will check the other 2 layers tomorrow to make sure they are not defective as well? Do you know if there have been manufacturing problems with coco Latex? Something is not right ? Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Thanks for listening mattress therapist.

Hi Turtlebed,

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences but it’s good to see that Sleeping Organic is looking after your issues promptly

I can certainly understand your frustration and disappointment. Does this layer also have visible impressions when it’s lying on a flat surface such as the floor? If it does and there are also visible impressions in this layer as well then it’s quite possible that they both came from the same defective core.

It’s not unusual for one Dunlop layer to have some variance in terms of ILD or density from another one that was cut from the same core (see post #6 here) but it usually wouldn’t be enough to make a significant difference to the mattress. It would be difficult to quantify the amount of the difference based on “hand feel” alone or based on memory without weighing the layers you were comparing (to check for any differences in density) but it’s certainly possible that there is some variance in the density of your layers compared to other layers that you tested.

I haven’t heard of any specific issues with CoCo latex having defective layers but this can certainly happen with any latex manufacturer and I know that when this happens it’s as frustrating to the person that sells it as it is to the customer that buys it.

As frustrating as it may be … I’m confident that Sleeping Organic will look after any legitimate issues that any of their customers may have and I hope you have the chance to keep us up to date and let us know what happens.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix: The Layex I tested was definitely heavier than the Coco Latex: I will keep you updated. Thank you for helping to keep my sanity…

Update: Sleeping organic is sending out a new Coco Soft layer next week and agreed the latex is defective . They are a great company , no hassels and I highly recommend them . Brandon is Great and provides exceptional customer service . He is definitely an asset to sleepimg organic .I will update you again when the new latex layer arrives . Have a great weekend …

Hi Turtlebed,

Thanks for the update.

As frustrating as it is that you received defective layers … I’m glad that you are dealing with a reputable business that can at least make resolving your issues as “painless” as possible!

Phoenix

I went with muy instinct that this was a reputable company . Cannot compliment Brandon enough at sleeping organic and thus far would highly recommend sleeping Organic to your followers .

Hi Pheonix : Update: I decided to remove all layers from the case and examine them . What I found was all layers have the shifting problem and the latex is not even . The other thing I noticed is the case seems to be too short and tight . The corners of the larex have to be bent down in order to fit in the case , as a result it affects the mattress shape. Is it OK for me to send you a photo of the latex , not fitting in the case, would appreciate your opinion ? Sleeping Organic has offered to replace the mattress with the same Coco Latex. My concern is : Will the Coco Latex have the same problem since it is from the same shippment they recieved ? I asked if I can switch to Organic Latex Green , but have not heard back as of today. Frustrated.

Hi Turtlebed,

Is it OK for me to send you a photo of the latex , not fitting in the case, would appreciate your opinion ?

You are certainly welcome to post the pictures on the forum (or send them to me and I can post them if you have any difficulty attaching them) and I’d be interested in seeing them but if there are issues with the latex then the best solution would be to replace them which is what Brandon has suggested. There are many mattresses that use CoCo latex (including Savvy Rest) that don’t have any shifting issues and your experience would be an anomaly so it’s unlikely that there would be an issue with replacement layers.

A case is supposed to be tight fitting and “squish” the latex (including bending the corners) when it’s zipped up so this would be normal (you can see the same thing in the videos here and here and here). A tight fitting cover is one of the reasons that latex layers don’t normally shift.

I don’t know if Latex Green is one of his suppliers for organic latex or whether this would be possible. It’s Sunday today so it’s not likely that you will hear from them until after the weekend and I would try and call them tomorrow.

Phoenix

Pheonix: The corners of my mattress are nothing like the ones in the video , in the video there is a slight bend . The corners on my mattress are much longer not a slight bend to close the case . The company also offeres organic Latex Green that is cut from 6" Molds . I will see what they have to say tomorrow about te case . These are new cases that have been out only 1 month. Question : When latex is cut from a 6" slab, the 2 pieces of latex measure less than 3" each. Possibly the case made to accomendate less than a true 6" of latex ??? The good thing they have offered to exchange the whole bed . I will keep you posted with the outcome . Thanks for listening

Hi Turtlebed,

When a 6" core is slit then each layer would be 3" and any difference that came from the width of the cut would be insignificant.

It would also be possible of course that the cover could be an issue but they would know this very quickly from their own testing and from feedback from other customers. Clearly there is something causing the issues you are having but without being able to see it there is no way for me to know what it could be.

I can certainly understand your frustration and as I mentioned it’s good to see that they are looking after you. I hope you have the chance to let us know what happens with the exchange.

Phoenix

UPDATE:

Hi Pheonix: Just wanted to update you to what is happening with my mattress: A whole new bed is being shipped next week . The company decided to switch my mattress to organic Latex Greed latex. There seems to be shipping problems with Coco Latex and the latex shifts ?? I read about this problem with Coco Latex that occured several years ago ? I also read that organic Latex Green is of the same quality and similiar ?? The company is also sending their old case with the plastic zipper , hopefully the zipper will hold up?? I was told the new cases with the metal zipper were prematurely sent ?? . When the new bed arrives I will give you a review ,lol. Thanks for listening

Hi Turtlebed,

Thanks for the update once again :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive all your replacement layers and cover.

Phoenix