3 yr old "big girl bed" - worth the money for a latex bed w/ hopes it'll last through high school?

We’re transitioning our daughter’s toddler bed/crib to the full size bed and looking for a mattress. My priorities are the same as probably any other parent - appropriate for her development now and as she grows; healthy/safe in re: to offgassing; and durability for the long haul. It’d be super if this were the only mattress we had to buy her while she’s growing up.

We think we’ve decided on the SleepEZ Roma at $695. The foundation is ~$225 for a total of ~$925, which is a lot.

My question - are we fooling ourselves in thinking this is a good idea for a 3 yr old and will last her through high school? Should we spend less now and just assume we’ll need to buy another in 7-10 yrs?

I need some reassurance.

Other suggestions are Brooklyn Bedding Central Park at around ~$500, although this is not latex but instead is innerspring/polyfoam. Much easier to swallow the price upfront but I don’t love the polyfoam and can’t help but wonder how quickly this will break down.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Another option is the solid core latex from Arizona Premium Mattress company at $995 for set. The owner, Ken, says he put all 3 of his kids on this one and his 19 yr old daughter is still using it and has since she was 2.

Hi sws09,

Post #2 here includes links to most of the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children and includes more information about many options that would all be good choices for children.

[quote]We think we’ve decided on the SleepEZ Roma at $695. The foundation is ~$225 for a total of ~$925, which is a lot.

My question - are we fooling ourselves in thinking this is a good idea for a 3 yr old and will last her through high school? Should we spend less now and just assume we’ll need to buy another in 7-10 yrs?

I need some reassurance.[/quote]

A latex mattress can certainly make a good choice for a child and latex is among the most durable materials available and should certainly last long enough to take them through their school years. This also has the advantage of having two sides with different comfort choices so you can start off with the firmer side and then flip it to the softer side when and if they need additional pressure relief.

How quickly it would break down would depend on the density of the polyfoam (see this article and the guidelines it links to) but even higher quality polyfoam won’t last as long as latex.

As Ken suggested … this would also make a great choice and would also likely last her through school. 6" of latex is fine for a child and you would also have the option of adding an additional topper when and if she needed any additional pressure relief.

Phoenix

Thanks so much Phoenix!

Another question - assuming we go w/ the Roma or the AZ Premium solid latex, do we have to get a typical latex foundation right now? Our daughter is an active sleeper and this will be quite the height adjustment so we’re hoping to do something w/ a lower profile for now - bare minimum type of thing.

If we are able to do a lower profile, can you suggest some inexpensive options?

Thanks!!

Hi sws09,

Both the Bed Rug here or one of the slat conversion kits here would give you an inexpensive way to put the mattress on the floor with some good ventilation underneath it. The slat conversion can also be used in place of a bunkie board if you have a suitable bedframe.

Phoenix