$500 For a New Matress

I am purchasing a new mattress for me and my wife. We have a $500 budget. I prefer latex to memory foam and I feel memory foam has a hardness once settled in that is uncomfortable for me.

I am between a Dreamfoam and Select Luxury E.C.O… I was also looking at a Denver Mattress Breckenridge Latex Eurotop.

My biggest worries were as a 230lb man the weight support wouldn’t be sufficient.

I’ve never used a non-innerspring matress before.

Hi electronicmaji,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

In very general terms they certainly have some great quality/value options available but if you let me know which Dreamfoam mattress you are considering I’d be happy to make some comments about it?

This mattress has a 1.75 lb polyfoam quilting layer (and thicker polyfoam quilting layers would be less durable than thinner layers) and 2" of 100% natural Dunlop

You can see some comments about the Denver Mattress Breckenridge in post #2 here and I would be cautious because of the thicker layers of 1.8 lb convoluted polyfoam in the upper layers of the mattress which would be a less durable material than I would normally suggest in your weight range.

Once you have provided the additional information I would need I’ll be happy to make some further comments.

Phoenix

Hi electronicmaji,

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which type of materials or which type of mattresses you may tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own careful testing and personal experience because different people can have very different preferences.

Having said that … there are certainly many people that prefer latex over memory foam and latex is certainly a high quality and very durable material. There is more about some of the general differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else and their guidance will give you the best chance of success.

Dreamfoam is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They certainly have some great quality/value options available but if you let me know which Dreamfoam mattress you are considering I’d be happy to make more specific comments about it.

I’m assuming you are looking at the mattress on Overstock here but it would be helpful if you let me know whether you are considering the firm or the medium version. I would also need to know the density of the polyfoam base layer and if you are considering the medium version then the density of the 1.75" polyfoam transition layer as well to be able to make any meaningful comments about it in terms of the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress.

The Overstock customer service reps also aren’t very knowledgeable about “matching” their mattresses to different body types and sleeping styles or about the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses so it may be difficult to get accurate information from them. They are generally the type of business that will sell you anything that they can convince you to buy. They also don’t have any exchange or return options on their mattresses so if the choice you make doesn’t turn out to be as suitable for you to sleep on as you hoped for in terms of comfort, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) you you won’t be able to exchange or return the mattress. The options you have after a purchase to exchange or return a mattress (or in some cases the individual layers of a mattress) can be an important part of the “value” of an online purchase.

You can see some comments about the Denver Mattress Breckenridge in post #2 here and I would be cautious because of the thicker layers of 1.8 lb convoluted polyfoam in the upper layers of the mattress which would be a less durable material than I would normally suggest in your weight range.

Once you have provided the additional information I would need I’ll be happy to make some additional comments.

Phoenix