6" latex core or two 3" layer core?

Hi Phoenix,

We’ve been to both Arizona Premium Mattress and Sleep Ez searching for a new mattress and am having a tough time deciding which company to go with. Since both are reputable companies, I feel confident with either decision, but had a couple of questions regarding their differences.

Are there any notable differences between getting a 6" latex core (aps) verses two 3" layered latex core (sleep ez) or is it just a comfort choice?

I’ve read in your other posts that having a split seam top layer shouldn’t make a notable difference if you have a high quality cover. We’re definitely doing two different comfort layers because my husband and I prefer different feels, but was wondering if fusing the top layers together would be a good idea. Ken, from APS practices this technique. He stated that leaving them un-fused would cause them to separate. Is this just a matter of opinion?

Last question - Is there any differences between a wool/cotton blend topper verses the wool/bamboo cover? Is one better than the other in terms of breathability or temperature control?

Thanks for your help,
Melissa

Hi Melseplo,

This would depend on the type of latex and on the firmness of the two layers vs the firmness of the single layer. Multiple layers have more options to rearrange the layers and fine tune the firmness but if you are comparing two layers of the same type of latex with the same ILD and with the same layers on top of it then there would be little difference between them. There is more about this in post #2 here.

You can read my thoughts about the pros and cons of split layers in post #2 here.

You can read more about the differences between cotton and bamboo in post #11 here.

Once you are down to finalists that are a choice between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them then post #2 here may be helpful when you are making a final choice based on all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix