6" Latex Mattress Roundup (From a Canadian Perspective)

Hey ConfusedParent,

Thanks for your question :slight_smile: .

[quote]I’m looking at taking the plunge into the DIY latex mattress world, and to start I’ve decided I will go with a firm 6" base, and sleep on that for some time to get a feel for it, then gradually add more comfort layers until I reach what works best for me. So I’ve looked around and as far as I can tell these are my options as a Canadian. All prices are for a Queen size, with firm density.
1. 6" GOLS Latex Mattress by Latex Green Canada (listed as Naturelle) - $1000 on Amazon.ca (free shipping)
2. 6" GOLS Latex Mattress by Naturelle - $1100 on naturelleorganicbeds.ca (free shipping)
3. 6" Natural Latex Mattress by MFC - $1495 (free shipping, +free pillows approx. $150 value)
4. 6" Natural Latex Mattress by Dormio - $1698 (free shipping)
5. 2 x 3" Natural Latex Mattress by Sleep on Latex - $920* (incl shipping)
6. 6" Natural Dunlop Latex Bio Beds Plus - $1099 (free shipping)
7. 6" Natural Dunlop Latex Arizona Premium Mattress - $1020** (PLUS shipping)
8. 6" GOLS Latex + 1" wool CozyPure - $2393 (PLUS shipping)
9. 6" Fundy Organic by The Mattress & Sleep Company - $1899 (free shipping)
Did I miss anything?[/quote]

Congrats on your new mattress shopping adventure into the DIY latex mattress world :slight_smile: ! Good job with your queen size/ firm base candidate research; I like your experimental approach of starting with the base and building from there. Thanks for considering a possible purchase from trusted members MFC, Dormio Organic Beds, Sleep on Latex, Arizona Premium Mattress, or CozyPure :slight_smile: ! All of these fine manufacturers offer high quality/ high value mattresses and could be a good choice. With 9 options available, it certainly seems that you have searched quite thoroughly latex bases available to you . For the vendors mentioned outside of TMU’s trusted member program, you would want to have a thorough understanding of what remedies are available post-sale should you not be happy with your purchase, as well as have those in writing for future use.

It would be good to know a few details about you (the user) for better fielding your questions: what is your weight, height, body profile type, and preferred sleeping position(s)? What mattress are you currently using and how old is it? Do you have experience with latex mattresses? If not, do you have local showrooms available for latex mattress testing?

[quote]Is there any reason I shouldn’t just go with the Sleep on Latex or the Naturelle off amazon? Why are people paying MFC, Dormio, etc 1.5 to 3 times the price for the same product, or sometimes even less (not GOLS in the case of MFC)? What am I overlooking here?

*Sleep on latex breakdown:
Queen Firm 3" $275 USD
Queen Firm 3" $275 USD
Total: 550 USD (668.62 CAD)
Shipping Price: 86 USD (104.55 CAD)
Tax (13%): 86.92 CAD
Clearance Fee: 60.10 CAD

**Arizona Premium Mattress breakdown:
Queen 6" DIY Dunlop Base 500
Queen Mattress Cover 199.00
Total: $699.00 ( 849.58 CAD)
Shipping Price: ?? (their website won’t calculate it automatically you have to ask)
Tax (13%): 110.44 CAD
Clearance Fee: 60.10 CAD[/quote]

Whichever manufacturer you choose to go with is entirely up to you, ConfusedParent. Your question has something of a rhetorical feel, and while I’m not privy to any manufacturer’s pricing strategy, there are a vast myriad of considerations involved that impact final costs. The main driver of current price increases is the escalating cost of the latex rubber, as well as increases in costs involved in the manufacturing process itself. You may find these posts by trusted members MFC, MattressToGo, and DIY Natural Beddingregarding global supply chain disruptions, component shortages, and tariffs/ logistical cost increases an interesting read.

Hope this helps with your research and looking forward to your updates when you have time :wink: .

Sensei