7" latex mattress from Cozypure and Sleepez and Pure Echo Organic Cotton Natural Mattress from My Green Mattress

Hello again,

We initially approached the forum about DeMatress in Miami FL, and although they were very personable and accommodating, not to mention offered us quite a deal ($1500 for a king) we have some reservations about moving forward with them.

We are now looking at Sleepez, Cozypure and My Green Mattress. Their value to us of is in their pricing, but we do have some concerns about firmness (and ultimately, our comfort). When budget is your main concern, the way it is in our case (without having to resort to questionable materials/chemicals), all other factors including PPP kind of take second place.

~Sleepez offers their Sleep Select 7" for $1477
•king size, 7"
•100% natural dunlop with organic cotton/wool cover.
90 days to try, and $40 to exchange layer or $99 return. We would select the firmness of both layers.

~Cozypure offers their Natural Comfort Kiss for $1294:
•king size, 7"
•100% natural dunlop with organic cotton/wool cover.
We could upgrade to 9" if we’re not happy with their 7" by buying their 2" sculpted latex. In both cases (7" or 9") we do not get to pick firmness (I believe the standard is medium) and there are no exchanges/returns with these two sizes.

~My Green Mattress offers their Echo Organic Cotton Natural Mattress for $849 which includes:
• 760 individually wrapped coil spring system
• Heavy gauge perimeter coils for a firm seating edge
• All-natural needle punched cotton insulator pads
• Heavy weight certified GOTS organic cotton batting
• All natural Joma wool and organic cotton cover

Questions:
~Has anyone ever slept on a 7" by Sleepez? It’d be two 3" layers, but are 7 inches too low to offer any type of support or pressure relief? We are both 5’6 weighting between 170 and 185 lbs.

~Has anyone tried the 7" by Cozypure? If we select this height, we’d be getting one 6" layer, so we’d essentially be sleeping on our core.
~Also, has anyone tried their sculpted layer? It doesn’t look very comfortable

~Lastly, has anyone tried the Echo by My Green Mattress? I’m curious about the firmness and overall feel. Other people like it for its affordability as well as the materials, but I haven’t come across anyone mentioning comfort, or lack thereof.

In case you are wondering, what deterred us from DeMatress was the following:
~Organic cotton cover not available for 2 more months
~When I spoke with them over the phone (it’s basically the owner and his assistant from what I could see) she said they carried “natural latex” when I asked if dunlop or talalay. The owner then rectified that it was dunlop but I was taken aback at her confusing this info
~It was unclear to me if they know they shouldn’t sell a mattress without the use of FR without a doctor’s note

Thanks again to anyone taking the time to respond, and to Phoenix for her help, wisdom, and patience!!!

PS. The pix attached is of the sculpted latex layer

Hi Adianez,

I’m assuming that you are referring to the SleepEZ 7" Natural Select here in your finalists which is listed at $1377 (not 1477).

Outside of the firmness of the latex and the options you have to rearrange or exchange the layers (or add to them) and their return policies … the Cozy Pure and the SleepEZ mattresses you are considering are very similar in terms of the type of materials and components (they both contain 6" of natural latex and a wool quilted cotton cover). The Cozy Pure cover is also quilted on both sides and can be flipped while the SleepEZ cover is quilted on one side of the cover.

The Pure Echo is a completely different type of mattress that uses a pocket coil with natural cotton comfort layers and an organic cotton cover quilted with Joma wool so it can’t realistically be compared to a latex mattress in terms of how it feels (cotton and wool feel very different from latex foam) or its firmness.

All of these manufacturers are members of this site which means that I think very highly of all of them and I believe that they all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. All of these mattresses use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in any of them in terms of durability.

You can see some comments about convoluted foam layers in post #2 here. Basically it will “act” softer than a solid layer of the same type and blend of latex with the same thickness and ILD.

A forum search on any of these manufacturers will bring up many comments and feedback about all of them (you can set the “find posts from” option to “any date” to bring up all the posts in the forum that mention them).

Having said that … I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here). It’s also very unlikely that any of the forum members have tried all (or even two) of the mattresses you are considering to be able to compare them.

I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. Different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (and all of them would be in this group) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on all the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any weak links or lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Wow!!! Thank you so much for such a thorough response!! I’ll be sure to read through the different links you provided.

Yes, you assume correctly on the Sleepez mattress. I actually edited the post a few times but you got a hold of the first version :slight_smile:

We are confident in all 3 providers. Our doubts are:

1. We’ve slept on innerspring for years, so the Echo would probably feel very close to what we have now (albeit our mattress is 14 yrs old and very likely to be softer), but $849 sounds like such a low price we are a bit skeptical.

2. I spoke with Sleepez, Cozypure and even BB and Astrabeds, and based on our stats, almost all of them suggest medium firm. However, when I asked what ILD it is for each of them, they are mostly in the mid 20’s to low 30’s which has us dumbfounded because we tried (albeit very briefly) a 36/40 at DeMattress and found it pleasingly supportive yet soft. Most of the manufacturers we’ve contacted would consider those numbers to be firm to extra firm. We are afraid to order firmness based on the mattress we tried to then receive something very hard.

Hi Adianez,

There are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress so from a durability perspective I wouldn’t have any concerns but natural fibers like cotton and wool will “feel” and respond very differently from the foam materials that were most likely in the innerspring mattress you had previously and of course different types of innersprings will also make a significant difference in how two mattresses compare as well so the Pure Echo may not be as closely comparable to the mattress you were used to as you may think. One of the biggest advantages of natural fiber/innerspring mattresses are that they are better than almost any other type of mattress in terms of temperature regulation.

Assuming that the ILD information you were provided was correct … 36 - 40 ILD would generally be much firmer than most people would be comfortable with sleeping on directly without a softer layer on top of it but of course not everyone fits the “averages” and which combination of layers will work best for any particular person will also depend on your weight, sleeping positions, and preferences.

If you have a good exchange or return policy then the risk of making a mistake is much lower because you will still have good options available after a purchase.

Phoenix

PS: I forgot to reply to this in my last post …

I think that they would be well aware of this and a manufacturer would be very unlikely to take the risk of selling a mattress that was illegal to sell because of the significant consequences that could be involved.

Thanks again Phoenix!!!

Hi Adianez,

First thank you for considering CozyPure while you research your next mattress purchase. The mattressunderground is a great resource and learning center that helps folks understand the industry. I know we have very educated customers after they visit the forum.

Regarding ILDs we never like to put too much emphasis on this precisely for the reason you mentioned. It can cause a lot of confusion, the most common is comparing the ILD of blended latex (or one with added fillers) which will feel different than 100% natural latex which is denser and feels harder than blended latex even though they have an identical ILD.

With that being said, do you know what “type” of latex you tried at DeMattress? If it was blended (especially with minimum amount of natural) then it will be difficult to compare to the natural latex offered by either CozyPure or SleepEz (or any brand using 100% natural). Another factor in ILDs feeling different is the hole size and pattern which can change the hardness/softness, again making it hard to compare different brands.

As Phoenix often suggests the best source will be the manufacturer themselves who can provide the layman terms of soft/medium/firm to describe their specific ILD based on their specific “recipe” of ingredients and baking pan. Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

-cheryl

Hi Cheryl,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

They said it was 100% natural dunlop, not blended latex. In fact, the owner said they had switched from Latex Int’l to a new vendor because LI’s latex was blended (I believe LI sells both though).

To be frank, I am very impressed with Cozypure’s practices in terms of how you use solar and wind energy to power your factory. My biggest deterrent is that you don’t have a better exchange/return policy for sizes 7" and 9" mattresses.

While I’m responding, let me ask you and Phoenix another question. What are the chances of an infant developing a latex/wool allergy from sleeping on a mattress that contains both?

Thanks again!!!

Hi Adianez,

While I’m not a doctor that is qualified to deal with medical issues that can depend on many things (medical history, correlations with other medical issues etc) … there is more about wool allergies in this topic and at the end of post #2 here and there is more about latex allergies in post #2 here.

Based on my research and on an “educated layman’s” opinion … I would consider the risk of developing an allergy to either one by sleeping on a mattress to be “very low”.

Phoenix

Thank you very much Phoenix!

Adianez

Just came across your post and was wondering if you got SleepEZ 7" Natural Select or Pure Echo?

After much research, I have narrowed my choices to these 2 for my 11 year old daughter’s full bed. Would appreciate if you share your experience.
Thanks