7"/two layers vs. higher

Hello world! My first post.
Phoenix and co., I’ve enjoyed reading around this site tremendously. I’m coming off a 13-y.o. spring mattress (S&F) and preparing for the world of latex. Definitely buying full latex composition. Will buy online since I don’t favor the three vendors relatively local to me.
I’ve read through the entire website of 8-10 of your vendor members.
So far, I’ve been looking only at three-layer, 9/10" options. But maybe I could consider a two-layer, 7"-ish option as a price point/acclimating step?
I’m a 5’3", 110 lbs female side sleeper. I don’t like ‘firm,’ but also didn’t like a soft talalay 3" top layer when I tried configs at one of the locals. I liked medium talalay on top a lot (lowest of three was form Dunlop, believe mid layer was med Dunlop).
I think I felt I had to get three layers so it wouldn’t be too firm, but would love input. Could you please direct me to existing info in the site, and/or comment? Thanks very much! :slight_smile:

Hi lisap,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

There are certainly some very good companies there. As you’re already aware, I think highly of the members on this site in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a mattress from any of them.

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be. There is certainly no reason that at your weight you would “need” more thickness, but you may still “prefer” a mattress that is thicker or thinner depending on the design. There is more about this and determining your PPP in the Mattress Shopping Tutorial.

If you are interested a bit more in surface and deep support, there is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well. this may be a bit more technical than you desire, but you asked for a some more information! :wink:

The next thing I would do is leverage the advice from the online retailers you are considering through a detailed phone conversation. A good online retailer or manufacturer will generally make suggestions that they honestly believe have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but again … at the end of the day the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress or individual layers or components or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Their detailed knowledge of their latex mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. The retail member of this site have great knowledge about component latex systems, and they will be able to provide you the best advice about the comfort you desire and the ability to achieve that with their different models.

I look forward to learning about your progress and what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Thank you, and good evening! I spoke to Greg at Arizona mattress briefly tonight also, and your two answers together have helped.
Come to think of it, my queen mattress may make an excellent base layer :slight_smile: After 13/14 years this thing just has a slight valley in the middle, it’s really held up well. (S&F Rose something?) It’s just too firm now, with my slight neck and shoulder issues (PC work all day) + age). And I get to keep it out of the landfill. Just replaced 9" box spring with 5.5" wood base from Sleep EZ, so gained 4"… I could add a 3" and 2" layer ensemble on top? (with a non-skid layer between :slight_smile: and be about where I was… bit of a leap to get on.
Your assembly of information is so impressive, btw. I organize text for a living and have a hard time keeping tags/tabs on the component info bits! Will visit your refs now,
Being a consumer nowadays is so interesting; choices can be vexing but Vive la choice. After just spending months deciding on a new HVAC system for my house, this isn’t so bad. :slight_smile: Thanks for being here!

Hi lisap,

I’m glad that between the two of us we’ve been able to be informative for you.

Using a topper to create some extra “plushness” atop a mattress that is a bit too hard certainly is a popular option, and as you said you’ll be getting extra use out of your old mattress and keep it out of a landfill. The one thing you’ll want to recognize is that a toper will only be able to conform to the surface upon which it is placed, so if you have a small valley in the middle of your current mattress, it will still be there is you use a topper. It will just be a softer valley.

Some of your sinking could have been the result of your foundation, which you might have addressed with the new SleepEZ foundation, as that doesn’t flex. And also make sure that your existing bed frame has proper center reinforcement.

Thank you very much for the kind words!

Phoenix

Thank you for those sensible words! Trying DIY now, over the valley :slight_smile: as you mention, is not worth it, It’ll make it a good donation, like my box spring did (someone was happy to take it). I ordered a Spindle (medium) today, and can’t wait to receive it. The AZ and CA sellers I looked at all had excellent points, but I like ‘shop local’ and Spindle is on my side of the country plus I like their business philosophy. For anyone reading this, I’d like to say that my biggest issue is having waited too long to get e new mattress. I can’t know what the new one will bring, but I do know that I was unhappy for a year and that was dumb - don’t wait too long! :slight_smile:

Hi lisap,

You’re welcome – I try my best.

Of course only you can judge how much of a sag you have in your current mattress, but one of the more common complaints I receive is how a topper didn’t take care of the sag in an old innerspring mattress (which of course it can’t), so I’m glad you took the time to analyze your situation.

I’m a big fan of up-cycling your old mattress. While it may not be perfect for you, it certainly can be useful for someone less fortunate.

As you know I think highly of Spindle and they are one of the members here which means that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. You certainly made a selection of a mattress that uses good quality materials with no weak links that would compromise the useful life of the mattress.

One of the advantages of trying mattresses locally is that you can try many different types and styles and combinations of materials and components and firmness levels and compare them to each other in “real time” based on your actual experience rather than just “theory” instead of trying one online mattress at a time and not knowing how it compares to the other mattresses that you could have tried or purchased instead. Some good local testing will also give you a much better sense of the many different types of materials and components that are used in mattresses and some reference points about the types of mattresses and general firmness levels you tend to prefer which can help you narrow down your choices regardless of whether you end up purchasing locally or online.

The most common comment I receive is, “Why didn’t I do this sooner?” :ohmy:

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer: I look forward to your comments once you’ve had a chance to use it for a while.

Phoenix

Hi - I did consult posts 14, 2, and 4 too, btw, thank you! Spindle isn’t so local I could go try one :slight_smile: I just share the east coast with them. It’ll arrive soon! I certainly will check in once I’ve had some time with it. Thank you for the well wishes!

I talked with a lunch table full of coworkers sometime in 2014 who’d all gotten new mattresses, I said ‘Hm maybe I should too’ then forgot and went about what may’ve been a pointless year of arm numbing and shoulder pain. Chiro didn’t mention my mattress. I also guess it’s hard to go past what you think and feel upon laying down while you’re conscious, and to guess at what happens when unconscious, when the most of what matters is happening!

I’ll hope to check in again soon. Thanks!

Hi lisap,

Thank you for reading the links I provided. I’m hoping they were assistive, or at the very least interesting to you as you went through your decision-making process.

I’m looking forward to it!

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix and all - it’s been two months+ with the Spindle mattress, and I’m a happy camper. They shipped quickly to me to beat the T’giving holiday, and that meant a lot. The zip cover and the layers, continuous dunlop made in PA, are all exceptional. The seller answered my questions and covered my concerns by email and by phone thoroughly!

The softest config you can get with them is Medium, so I just reconciled to re-use my 3" memory foam layer with it. Because of what’s underneath, that even feels different. Someday I’ll get the medium talalay layer I dream of on top. This is my first latex mattress, and I’ll never have anything else if I can help it! I’ve bought three wood foundations from SleepEZ, and they’re wonderful to deal with, too.

I wanted to thank you again for this incredibly useful site! Lisa

HI lisap,

Thanks for your update! I’m glad that you are happy with your multiple purchases.

As a note, the Spindle Natural Latex Mattress is available in Soft, Medium, Firm and Extra Firm.

When you get to that point, you may wish to read a bit more about selecting a topper in post #2 here.

You’re most welcome.

Phoenix