9" mattress using 3 3" toppers from Brooklyn Bedding

Am thinking of making a mattress using 3 3" toppers from BB of different ILDs… not for cost reasons, but for ease of moving/flipping/rotating each layer individually (I’m a little guy!). Any thoughts/opinions? Any recommendations about. ILDs for each layer?

Hi Immi, you may or may not have success using toppers instead of mattress components. A lot of toppers vary in size, and some who have purchased the BB toppers specifically have mentioned they aren’t true to size. For instance a queen is 60x80, one of the queen toppers may be 58-59 x 78-79. Putting them in a standard sized zippered mattress encasement (highly recommended for latex) they may not fit as well as you’d like. It’s not just BB, it’s more of a quirk with toppers in general and can vary from vendor to vendor.

You may be happier purchasing either a component latex mattress from them or checking out places like arizona premium mattress or sleepEZ . Most companies offer component latex mattresses and are able to be customized and provide the ability to move individual layers around.

I’m assuming you’re talking about latex, if you’re talking about poly foam then maybe consider dreamfoam’s 12 in 1 (poly foam component mattress in 3 layers, adjustable with zippered cover). Dreamfoam is part of BB. If you’re asking about ILD’s for layers in terms of firmness for latex, the best way I’ve found to do this is to find a showroom that has latex mattresses if possible. Lay on some and see how they feel, then try and determine what ild’s and thicknesses of layers they used. Try to duplicate what felt the best as close as possible. It’s hard to make blind recommendations for other people - even if I or anyone else liked for instance 3 layers, each 3" thick like you said - at 24/32/36 ild’s respectively - no way to tell if you’d like it. It could be too soft, too firm or just ‘ok’.

Best of luck in your mattress hunt, but I think you’d be a lot better off considering a component mattress vs toppers. Toppers is kind of a roll of the dice and while it’s worked for some, some people were less than happy with their results. Hope this helps.

Hi Immi,

I would “echo” the great thoughts and suggestions that brass made … especially about sizing.

There are also a number of manufacturers in the list of online members here that make a range of component latex mattresses using different types and blends of latex.

Besides the 12 in 1 customizable … Dreamfoam also has their Freedom customizable latex mattress here which is a 3 x 3" layer component latex mattress that uses synthetic latex.

As Brass also mentioned … there are so many variables involved that it’s usually best to test different types of latex in different firmness levels in person to get a good idea of the combination that would be the best match for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

Thank you, guys for your replies. I never thought of the size mismatch issue. Maybe I’ll take a closer look at Dreamfoam UD Natural (Dunlop) mattress.

Immi