9" Plush Latex mattress by Brooklyn Bedding

Hi Phoenix,

My wife and I have been searching for a new mattress, and you have, by far, provided the most complete set of information anywhere. So kudos to you :slight_smile:

I wanted to get your thoughts on the 9" Plush Latex mattress by Brooklyn Bedding (Brooklyn Bedding - Brooklyn Bedding). I could not find any information about that specific model on TMU, so I was curious if it was possibly a newer model.

I know the advantages of an all latex mattress being more durable. But I also see it is full synthetic Dunlop, so not as “natural” as their other blended Talalay mattresses. I also know that Dunlop is traditionally denser/firmer than Talalay, so I was curious why they may have used Dunlop for a very plush mattress. It doesn’t provide the ILD of the different firmness options either. What does “convoluted” mean?

I asked one of their reps a few questions about it. He seemed to suggest it would be as durable as all of their other mattresses, while also providing better comfort and support than their latex/foam hybrids, especially for a side sleeper like me, since it has 8 inches of latex. Does that sound correct? If so, is it cheaper simply because it is synthetic latex?

My wife and I are leaning towards the Cotton Camilla, but we wanted to get the low-down on this mattress before making a final decision. How would you compare the two?

FYI - We are both light weight and back/side sleepers. We like a more plush feel, so BB recommended a 8 level firmness for their hybrids, which translated to a Medium for the Plush Latex. I know you have said it is often better to go a little bit firmer to provide better support. Would that translate to us getting a level 7?

Hi barefoot,

This mattress is relatively new (this year) but it used to be called the Tri-Comfort so the name is newer than the mattress. You can see some of my comments about it in post #9 here and a forum search on Tri-Comfort (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments about it as well.

Convoluting is a type of surface modification that looks like an eggcrate. You can see some examples of convoluted or “eggcrate” foam here, and a few examples of other types of surface modifications are here and here and here.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but the choice between Dunlop and Talalay is a personal preference (see post #7 here). The continuous pour Dunlop that it uses is made by Mountaintop foam and comes in softer versions than you would usually find with molded Dunlop and the convoluting would make it softer yet so the softer versions would be more comparable to softer versions of Talalay for those who prefer the feel" of Dunlop in softer layers. Synthetic Dunlop is also the lowest cost version of latex so there are also cost and pricing advantages compared to other types of latex as well.

You can see the ILD ranges of Mountaintop continuous pour Dunlop in post #70 here but the ILD’s of different types and blends of latex aren’t directly comparable to each other so knowing the ILD wouldn’t be particularly relevant or meaningful to someone that hadn’t tried that particular type and blend of latex in the same layer thicknesses and ILD with the same type of convoluting anyway.

You can see my thoughts about an all latex mattress vs a latex hybrid in post #2 here. You can also see some of my comments about the Cotton Camilla vs some of the other single layer latex hybrid mattresses with exchangeable layers made by Brooklyn Bedding or their sister company Dreamfoam in post #16 here. A forum search on “Cotton Camilla” (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments about it as well. Outside of the differences between an all latex mattress and a latex hybrid and the other differences in their design (such as zoning) and materials … the Cotton Camilla would have the “feel” of Talalay and the 9 inch Plush latex would have more of the “feel” of Dunlop except in a softer mattress than you would usually find with Dunlop.

If you are comparing two mattresses in person and you can’t decide between them and they both seem to be a suitable match for you in terms of PPP then I would tend towards the one that was slightly firmer but I wouldn’t purposely choose a mattress that was firmer than your “ideal”. When you can’t test a mattress in person then the best way to choose an initial combination of layer firmnesses would be based on a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer can help “talk you through” the choices that will have the best chance of success based on the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about helping to “match” different body types and sleeping positions to the options they have available based on “averages” than anyone else(see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Their guidance along with the options you have to re-arrange the layers or exchange a layer would be the best alternative to testing a mattress in person.

Phoenix

Thanks for posting all of this excellent and informative information. After reading this blog I decided on the Bamboo Bliss. I am ordering it now.

Hi derdude,

I’m glad the site could help you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you probably know from your reading I think you made a great quality/value choice … and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it!

Phoenix