A Cautionary Tale: Latex Core/Toppers, DIY mattress

We’ve been sleeping on a Simmons BRB king-size tight-top firm with 3" talalay topper (13-14 ILD measured) for about two years. The mattress started to break-down within the first 3-6 months. I am an 85% stomach sleeper/15% side sleeper, 6’, 230 lbs. Waking up in the morning with terrible pain in my lower spine. I finally reached my breaking point and must make a change.

Ordered a 6" N3 latex core. Intended to make a DIY mattress using core and topper. After much, much wrangling we had it assembled. Last night’s sleep was miserable. I think I was awake every 45 minutes.

Here’s what I learned about DIY latex mattresses:

It did NOT cure my back pain - I’m still having the same pain in my lower spine, plus two additional problems…

Heat build-up: OMG! I’m shocked at how much heat the old mattress with topper dissipated. The solid latex core with latex topper builds an INCREDIBLE amount of heat. I woke up several times with my front on fire/freezing on my back (uncovered with AC on).

Foot pain: The edge of the topper hit right in the middle of my arches. There’s not enough weight from my knee to my foot to really sink-in so all the load was carried from the edge of the topper across my arches. This created enough nerve pain within a few minutes that re-positioning was necessary.

Feel free to learn from my mistake.

Hi Jason,

While I appreciate you contributing to the forum (and I’m sorry you’re not sleeping well), I would caution anyone reading your post against taking your results as any form of a reliable indicator as to what their own results might be if they decide to make their own DIY mattress (latex or otherwise).

I do think that your post can serve some good for forum readers, but it would be more from the point of a “cautionary tale” of some of the statements you’ve offered.

[quote]Here’s what I learned about DIY latex mattresses:
It did NOT cure my back pain - I’m still having the same pain in my lower spine, plus two additional problems…[/quote]

There is no one specific mattress that can “cure” anyone’s back pain, and an expectation of such is unrealistic, as it would be unrealistic for anyone to take your results (good or bad) and expect those to be applicable to them.

The design of a mattress and how well it matches your unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is always much more important than the types of materials and components that are inside it or the type of mattress you choose. Each mattress category includes hundreds or even thousands of different mattresses and there may be several mattresses in each category that are a perfect “match” for you or any particular person and there will be many others in each category that may completely unsuitable for you to sleep on.

Because each person is different in terms of their physiology, weight distribution, and body shape as well as the positions they sleep in, their individual preferences, and the specifics of any back issues they may experience, there is no such thing as a mattress that is “better for backs” in general because a mattress that is good for one person’s back (or back issues) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if their body type, sleeping positions, or back issues appear to be fairly similar. There is only a mattress that keeps you in good alignment which would be best for YOUR back.

In general … what one would be looking for is a mattress with firm enough deep support and then comfort layers that are “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness to “fill in” and support the more recessed parts of one’s sleeping profile and relieve pressure in one’s most pressure prone sleeping position (usually side sleeping for those who sleep in this position) so that there is less risk to alignment in one’s other sleeping positions.

It seems that you’re sleeping on your stomach (warm on your front), which combined with the N3 core (medium) you chose, along with the very plush 3" Talalay topper, could allow for you to sink in more deeply than on your old mattress, which could insulate you more and cause you to sleep warmer (and also explain some of your back issues). Latex itself is a very breathable material, but an innerspring can move more air than a solid foam core. Also, all of the componentry within your sleep system (covering around your latex foams, mattress pad, sheets, …) will contribute to your mattress microclimate. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. While you slept warmer as compared to your old mattress, this is not the “norm” for most individuals with an all-latex mattress and again could be to you sinking in a bit more than on your old mattress.

I don’t understand what you’re describing here, but again this seems to be something specific to your situation and not something that would be usable information to be applied to the potential experiences of others.

As you’ve previously mentioned, you’ve had terrible experience with mattresses over the past 8 years (you’ve bought 5 mattresses), so I think the information you’ve provided here would be much more specific to your particular situation, and again I’m sorry your current DIY project isn’t working out well for you.

I think the best thing that others can learn for your post is that if you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

For those who decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

I’m wishing you luck and better results in the next mattress you decide to pursue.

Phoenix