a mattress for a heavy weight person

Hi izzy,

Any type of latex could provide the support you need depending on its firmness. I would just make sure that your testing included Dunlop because it is a more dense material that gets firmer faster which in some designs can be useful. I would avoid a tendency to try to “pick” the best version of latex or think in “should and shouldn’t” terms as far as material … they are just different and which is more suitable for you would depend on the design and layering of the mattress … and on your preferences … not just on the type of latex used.

The post I linked talked about 100% natural Dunlop and both blended and 100% natural Talalay latex. All of these would make a good choice. Again I would avoid the temptation to think in terms of “better or worse” terms for latex when you are choosing between these three. They would all make a very good choice. Even blended Dunlop can also make a good and very durable choice that is less costly and more suitable for lower budgets but I wouldn’t go below a 50/50 blend in Dunlop.

In the same type of material and if all other things are equal … then a higher ILD will be more durable than a lower ILD yes. Of course an ILD that is too high (particularly in the comfort layers) may make the mattress unsleepable for you.

Again … as you can read in the post I linked … in the higher ILD’s that would be more appropriate for your weight … I don’t differentiate between the 3 types of latex I mentioned in terms of durability. They are a preference choice not a “better worse” or durability choice.

I hope you didn’t get that impression from my response and from the post I linked (it certainly didn’t say this). I wouldn’t differentiate between them in terms of durability in higher ILD’s.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the NYC area are listed in post #2 here and there is also a more categorized list with more detailed descriptions of some of them in post #7 here.

Phoenix