A Talalay Latex bed constructed from toppers in Hawaii, thanks!

Thanks to the help of this forum, all the ressources and Incredible wealth of information, we have a great bed that sleeps beautifully. Found the ressource of Mayer Bedding Company from this site and with the help of Robert Mayer created the perfect bed for us from toppers. Mayer Bedding helped me figure out what density latex would work for both of us. Decided on 3" firm 100% natural Talalay latex for the bottom then 3" of the same but in medium density plus a top layer of medium 2". It was the top layer that couldn’t decide on but settled with medium density vs soft cause my mate likes a firm bed. Worked out great. The best part is that shipping to Honolulu was FREE and I got a 5% discount mentioning the Mattress Underground. [MODERATOR NOTE: For the sake of clarity, Mayer’s Bedding is in no way affiliated with The Mattress Underground. Mayer’s Bedding is not a site member here, they are not endorsed by us, and posting here or being a member here in no way creates an arrangement that we have made for a discount to be offered to anyone.] Each topper came in a box that we could handle easily. Robert Mayer helped also with the timing of the shipping so we would be in town to receive it. Timing is never easy but it worked. Was impossible to find a great mattress of this quality in Hawaii, just doesn’t exist. Don’t have a complete mattress top to bottom cover yet for the 8" mattress seems OK without it. But would welcome suggestions? Oh, it is on wood slates 1" apart bed frame. so far so good.

Hi Napali,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: 

I’m glad that you were able to create a mattress using toppers and that it is working out well for you – congratulations! :cheer:

You’ll see that I made an addition to your original post, noting that Mayer’s Bedding is in no way affiliated with The Mattress Underground. Mayer’s Bedding is not a site member here, they are not endorsed by us, and posting here or being a member here in no way creates an arrangement that we have made for a discount to be offered to anyone. While I’m sure it was not your original intent, listing in your original post that they are offering a discount for mentioning this site can have an appearance/implication for others reading this thread that Mayer’s Bedding is in some manner affiliated with The Mattress Underground, and is an attempt to form the appearance that there is a relationship between them and this site, which there is not.

Unfortunately, I’m suspicious that there has been some “encouraging” of people to write similar posts on this site about this copmpany (perhaps like a quid pro quo of a discount for a post here), which they then are using as a form of advertising and linking to posts here as “reviews”, which is not at all what this site is about, and which eventually puts all posts relating to this company under suspicion of having been pre-arranged or encouraged.

As the moderator of the forum when I am in doubt I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to advertising or promotion. Because of this please understand that I need to ask if you have any affiliation to Mayer’s Bedding or if you were asked by them to post here, and if so then the forum rules require that you disclose this on the forum.

There are quite a few different vendors in the component post here that offer different variations of mattress covers that you may wish to investigate.

As long as you have good center reinforcement for your slats, this spacing is less than the 3" minimum I recommend for latex, so it sounds as if you are in good shape here!

Thank you!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

First of all thank you for all the info you provide it has been very helpful. I really appreciate your commitment to educating people including myself. Sorry if In my excitement about creating my new mattress I gave the wrong impression. I have no affiliation to this company and was not asked nor encouraged to give a review here and didn’t receive any discounts or anything for doing so. Understand completely your caution. Did not intend to suggest that there is a relationship between your site and this vendor.

Thank you very much for the link to covers, will check that out. Re: center reinforcement, I don’t have any on this wood queen bed frame. Not sure it is possible? Used thick plywood cut into strips along with original bed slats. Could have just put the plywood over the existing slats but was concerned about air flow especially in the tropics. Do you recommend I get a box spring? How do folks manage the latex on an old fashion frame?

Hi Napali,

Thank you so much for your reply and confirmation. There’s absolutely no issues with your excitement about your new mattress – I’m very happy to see that! People really underestimate the value of gathering good quality, restorative sleep.

Using a slatted network is a wholly appropriate surface to use under your latex mattress, and your concern for proper airflow is justified. The main issue would be with the potential for those slats sagging in the center over time. If you’re able to attach a photo of the underside of your slat network, I’d be able to make some more meaningful comments or suggestions of how to easily reinforce your slats, or if it would be necessary.

Phoenix