A tough, yet simple question about Tuft & Needle

This akin to all of those asked and answered postings. I’ve been putting off a purcase of a new mattress for about a year and a half now… and well I can’t wait much longer. I honestly don’t mind the idea of buying a mattress online without ‘feeling’ it out. I purcased my HDTV back in the day online before it was a thing to do…

So I’ve been looking heavly at the Tuft & Needels bed. I don’t know if the darw comes from the fact it is rated high on Amazon, it has a nice looking site, or they seem to have a good story. All three are essentially different forms of advertising; when the message is hitting the target from different dirrections and approches it is effective. I now find myslef tryig to step back and take an objective look… from what I can tell it does appear as if the T&N beds do have some kind of markup… not 1000% but not not nearly has little as the marking makes sound. However, if the mattress provides a place where I want to sleep, enjoy sleeping and wake up feeling ‘refreshed’ I must admit I don’t care.

Has anyone really done a good review of the current 5-inch mattress? I am failry certain none exist for the 10-inch… also why would anyone elect a 5-inch mattress over the 10-inch on anything larger than a twin xl? Anything larger the portablity argument is mute.

Hi mitchejj,

They would certainly have a reasonable profit margin and without this no business could survive. There are certainly some very high margins on mattresses in the industry if you look at most of the “suggested” retail prices (usually fake) but if the actual “real world” selling price is used as a reference point then the retail margins aren’t nearly as high as many places would have you believe. A reasonable margin would be in the range of 50% (which is a 100% markup) and retailers that run on lower margins in the range of the 40’s (about a 70% + markup) based on the wholesale cost of the mattress would be less common. Less than this and most businesses would struggle to survive.

A review on a relatively new mattress can only be about it’s comfort and support or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is unique to each person and wouldn’t really provide any information about how the mattress would feel and perform for someone else (see post #13 here). When you are buying a mattress online that you can’t test ahead of time … then your own sleeping experience is the most important “test” of the suitability of the mattress and the return policy would be much more important than a review so that each person can assess the mattress for themselves based on their own sleeping experience.

I think that most people who choose the 5" mattress would either prefer the lower profile, a lower price, or perhaps are in a lower weight range where they don’t need a thicker mattress.

A review also wouldn’t say anything about the quality or durability of the mattress because the only way to know this would be by waiting several years at a minimum or by knowing the quality of the materials inside it. In this case we know the polyfoam is a 2 lb density which is a good quality and more durable version of polyfoam although of course it’s not as costly as specialty foams such as memory foam or latex or even HR polyfoam.

So in essence … this mattress uses good quality materials and has a good design (within the limitations of the materials and thickness) that is meant to be reasonably suitable for a fairly wide range of people. It would be good “value” for those that are limited to a lower budget range and can’t afford more premium materials or a more costly design and where the ability to return the mattress if their experience indicates it’s not a good match in terms of PPP is an important part of their personal value equation.

I certainly wouldn’t compare it to more premium mattresses but I would also say it’s good value for what it is if you add in the cost (and benefits) of the return policy that they offer.

Phoenix

Hello Mitchejj,

Is there specific information you are looking for from a review?

I have had my 5 inch queen for almost 2 months now and would be happy to answer any question that I can.

How is your sleeping experience on your 5 inch?

I wouldn’t trust the Amazon reviews since most of them are not Amazon verified purchases and many of the accounts have 1 or 2 reviews…

True, and I have nothing againt mark-ups… as long as the markups have some value/service attached opposed to markup for the sake of mark-ups.

I suppose my issue with the size of a mattress is this… I do often believe a mattress tends to be thicker than it needs to be… we all, generally speaking, buy into the more is lemming walk. However, I then look at a ruler and 5-inches of foam doesn’t seem like much. Then again I did sleep on my bedroom floor for years because I hated my waterbed.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=34200]So in essence … this mattress uses good quality materials and has a good design (within the limitations of the materials and thickness) that is meant to be reasonably suitable for a fairly wide range of people. It would be good “value” for those that are limited to a lower budget range and can’t afford more premium materials or a more costly design and where the ability to return the mattress if their experience indicates it’s not a good match in terms of PPP is an important part of their personal value equation.

I certainly wouldn’t compare it to more premium mattresses but I would also say it’s very good value for what it is.[/quote]
I know people often say you shouldn’t go cheap a matress… of a persons PPP. I person feel the best one can ask for is quality materials assembled with intergerty and respect for the end prodcuct. So I’m sure I will be happy with that side of things.

Yes that is the worrying part of the amazon reviews…

[quote=“otaku30” post=34215]
Is there specific information you are looking for from a review?[/quote]
My big question about the 5-inch would be…

• Does the mattress stay put (no movement of the foundation)?
  • How much give does the mattress have around the edges?
  • Knowing what you know about your current 5-inch, and you had the choice 2 months ago would you have picked the 5-inch over the 10?

maskedrose - I don’t regret for one moment purchased the T&N 5 inch mattress. I am a side and back sleeper - 6’2" and 225 pounds - this mattress has plenty of support for me. And no back, neck or joint issues since I started sleeping on it.

And the Amazon reviews may seem a bit too good to be true - but they aren’t - for me the mattress is every bit as good as the reviews make it out to be.

mitchejj:

• Does the mattress stay put (no movement of the foundation)?

This one I can’t speak to since the mattress has been on the floor since I got it. Tomorrow it will be going on top of a new tatmi matt platform bed.

• How much give does the mattress have around the edges?

There is no edge support if that what your asking. The edges compress like the rest of the mattress. If you mean something else please clarify and I will do my best to answer.

• Knowing what you know about your current 5-inch, and you had the choice 2 months ago would you have picked the 5-inch over the 10?

Given the choice of the 2 sizes I would still go with the 5 if for no other reason than it will be a lot easier to move when needed.