About to buy Regalis-HD from Select Foam

After doing as much research as seems reasonable I’ve decided to buy from Select Foam. A couple of issues give me pause. BBB rating of C, a few comments on TrustLink.org, no mention on other review sites (sleeplikethedead.com).

However, after emails traded with Juan Quintero, VP of Sales at Select Foam wherein he makes it clear that if I don’t like the product I can return it for a full refund, shipping paid by Select Foam, I figure the risk is a $50 mattress shipping box and a $5 mattress bag to return it if I am not pleased. I am not sure what else the company could offer to make this a lower risk decision. They know that customers that do their research, post to forum like this and consult the BBB website are the type to make reports back on their satisfaction with the product and the company. I will certainly do so here, and hope to report a very pleasant experience.

The current deal for the Regalis-HD King is $1,799 - $250 (standard discount) - $89.95 (Mattress Underground discount) = $1,459.05. This is a good price, if the bed is indeed the quality of the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody.

If you have any comments on either the bed or the company, please post now as I’ll be placing the order very soon.

Hi mjmtaiwan,

As you know Select Foam is an invited members of this site which means I think highly of them and the quality and value of their mattresses. They did have some customer service issues (and some criticism that IMO wasn’t reasonable) that were mostly connected to third party deliveries of bonus bedding bundles that they offered and you can read more about this in post #2 here. You can also read a little more about the BBB ratings in post #3 and #4 here. They are not members of the BBB so this tends to lower their rating and they have had 2 unresolved complaints in the last 3 years. I don’t know the details of these two complaints but I would suspect that they are not completely reasonable because I don’t know of any reason they would not resolve any reasonable complaint or issue that a customer had and I know of many instances where they have gone out of their way to make sure their customers are happy … within reasonable limits or course.

As you also know they also have a great return policy with free shipping both ways which lowers the risk of an online mattress purchase.

Their foam quality/density is the same as or better than the Tempurpedic they are compared to and their design is very similar as well. They take care to come as close as possible to the feel, quality, performance and design of the Tempurpedic models they are targeting although of course nothing is exactly the same because how a mattress “feels” is also very subjective.

They are certainly one of the better options when it comes to an online memory foam purchase.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I have ordered the Regalis today, Sunday. It’s obviously unusual for sales people to field inquiries on Sunday but this company does. I hope that is a harbinger of the type of customer service this company offers.

Juan said the mattress will go into production on Tuesday and they will let the glue dry for a couple of days and then they will ship it and I can expect delivery on Friday or next Monday.

I’ll let you and other members know how it goes. I am looking forward to a good nights sleep.

Hi mjmtaiwan,

You’ve certainly made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Did you receive the mattress? What are your initial thoughts and impressions?

Also, the price on the website is $1799. What is the $250 standard discount? How do you get the MattressUnderground discount at checkout?

Hi diverellis,

The standard discount is one of the choices you have at the time of checkout or on the phone between $250 or free financing. To receive the TMU discount you just have to tell them you are a member of the forum here.

Phoenix

I did get the mattress and the first couple of nights my back hurt worse than ever. It’s been a week or so and I am trying to get accustomed to the mattress.

I’m going to stick it out for the 30 days and if I don’t get a pain free night I’m going to return it.

I really had high hopes for this bed and I do think the quality of the mattress is the issue. It’s either too firm or too soft (as my wife thinks).

I’ve messaged the Select Foam user here but have not received a reply and will call them if I don’t get an answer. I am sure they hope customers don’t complain, who wants to hear from customers with issues, especially in public fora, but for the cost $1,400 or so with discount (have to call to place the order to get the MU discount) I have to be satisfied.

Hi mjmtaiwan,

You actually couldn’t be more wrong about this. The quality of a mattress is dependent on the quality of the materials inside it and all the materials Select Foam uses are high quality materials.

Quality has nothing to do with the comfort or support of a mattress and this part of a mattress purchase is all about making a mattress or design choice that is suitable for your specific needs and preferences … not on the quality of the materials or the mattress.

Mistaking the quality of a mattress for it’s suitability for any particular person’s needs and preferences is one of the most common mistakes made on the internet by consumers who don’t understand the difference. the quality of a mattress and it’s suitability for any person are not connected to each other. It’s also one of the reasons why mattress reviews based on other people’s experiences can be among the worst ways to choose a mattress (see post #13 here)

If you choose the wrong mattress design then the first thing to do is call the manufacturer on the phone so they can use their knowledge and experience to help you solve your issue. They are happy to do this and they will certainly have suggestions for you that can help you solve any issues you may have with the type of mattress you chose. Most importantly they may be able to help you identify the underlying cause of why the mattress doesn’t provide you with the PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, or Personal preferences) that is the most important part of any mattress purchase so you can either solve the issue or make a more suitable choice the next time.

No matter what the quality or value of a mattress … if it isn’t suitable for your specific needs and preferences or you made the wrong mattress choice then the first thing (not the last) is talk with the people (on the phone and not with email) who make it so that they can help you solve the issue and they certainly would welcome the chance to do so. Emails don’t provide the kind of detailed exchange or nuanced information that is needed to talk about mattresses.

They (and all good manufacturers) are also happy when people post about their experiences with them regardless of whether you make the best choice or not. As long as your comments are reasonable, constructive, looking for solutions, and don’t mistake quality issues with comfort or support issues then posting about your experiences after a purchase is just as meaningful and can highlight the quality and service of a manufacturer just as much as posting about them before a purchase.

Making the wrong mattress choice is something that can happen with any online purchase and is unavoidable in some cases because each person’s needs and preferences are very different … but what happens after that is just as important and this is also why having good options after a purchase is such an important part of the “value” of an online purchase.

The first step is to identify the specific issues you are having (pressure points, discomfort, or pain in certain areas of your body) and then to work towards knowing the type of changes or the design of mattress that would solve them

Phoenix

Ooops…

I was puzzled by your post until I realized that I had originally written “I do not think the quality of the mattress is the issue”, but removed NOT from the sentence when editing, changing the meaning to the contrary of my intention.

Let me state it again. I do not think the quality of the mattress is the issue.

Hahaha! I was wondering. :lol: because the mattress I purchased and received I feel is higher quality than Tempur Pedic. The appointments and the construction are phenomenal. I couldn’t imagine them turning out a bad mattress after seeing the one I have. Glad you clarified it!

Hi Justso,

Oops on my part as well then … and you can ignore my comments :slight_smile:

It’s amazing how much difference a single word can make !!

Phoenix