About to buy Ultimate Dreams. Firmness level?

Iā€™m still afraid to buy a mattress without laying on it first, but need to do something soon. Everyone seems to be loving this Ultimate Dreams mattress though and you canā€™t be the price. Does anyone know what the owner offerā€™s if the bed just isnā€™t working for you?

Hi Vice,

That depends on which of the three models you buy. With the Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress and the Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex mattress there are no refunds so all sales are final.

With the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex mattress ā€¦ you can exchange the latex comfort layer for a different firmness level for a small fee if you arenā€™t happy with your choice.

Phoenix

Iā€™m about to pull the trigger on the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop based on all the excellent reviews here. Fingers crossed!

Hi theangmoh,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think the majority of people are happy with their comfort choice but the good news about the Eurotop is that if for some reason you are ā€œoutside the averagesā€ in terms of your comfort choice ā€¦ you have the chance to exchange it for one that is either softer or firmer.

Phoenix

Iā€™m pulling the trigger on an Ultimate Dreams mattress as well. I canā€™t even describe how helpful this site has been. Thanks to all!

Hi ivy7,

Congratulations on your new mattress ā€¦ and for the kind words :slight_smile:

I hope you have a chance to give us some feedback when youā€™ve received it and had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

I will also most likely be ordering the Ultimate Dreams latex mattress in the next week. Iā€™m currently leaning towards a ā€˜3ā€™ firmness level based on the comments Iā€™m hearing from others. Iā€™ve tried the Stearns & Foster Villa La Rosa latex mattress (which I believe is one level in firmness up from the Villa Fiona mentioned in the first post), which felt just about right. Also tried the CloudRest at Dixiefoam (I believe they have the ā€˜Medium Firmā€™ in display at the store) which was slightly firmer, but my SO and I are fine with leaning towards a firmer mattress as we both prefer not too much of the ā€œsinking inā€ feeling. Anyway, will report back what I decide and my feedback on the mattress once I order and speak with Dreamfoam.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great information on this forum.

Hi emm14,

Congratulations on your new mattress ā€¦ or about to be new mattress :slight_smile:

I think your conversation with Chuck will be helpful to narrow down your firmness choice.

I also think that you are wise to go with slightly firmer than slightly softer because itā€™s much easier to ā€œfine tuneā€ a mattress that is too firm than one that is too soft.

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about your final choice and any feedback when youā€™ve had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Great website, very informative!

I am also considering getting a mattress from Ultimate Dreamsā€¦ The price and the good reviews are amazing but I canā€™t decide which firmness level I would get. I want it to be mostly firm but slighty soft on top. Iā€™m worried about ā€œsinking inā€ā€¦ I noticed that ā€œDrogā€ got the 4.5 and then mentioned in other threads that he was sinking in a bit.

This will be my first latex mattress. Iā€™m currently sleeping on a horrible, lumpy 10 year old spring mattressā€¦ I flip it/ rotate like every week now :frowning: Iā€™m better off sleeping on the couch or floor. As someone that has only had spring mattressesā€¦ Iā€™m a little concerned about the latex mattress being one sidedā€¦ Will it really hold up over time and not get lumpy? How many years can you get out of a latex mattress? Have you seen anyone review it after theyā€™ve had it for more than 6- 12 months?

Hi Cupicakes,

the best way to choose your comfort level would be with a conversation with the manufacturer who has more knowledge about their mattresses and the different options that would suite different body types, sleeping positions, and personal preferences than anyone. Any local testing you have done on latex mattresses or mattresses that you have slept on and liked in the past (especially if you know the layering) would also help them to help you more effectively.

I would be very careful before you use someone elseā€™s experience as a guideline for your own because everyone is very different both in terms of their body type, sleeping positions, their personal preferences, and what they define as firm and soft. Going by someone elseā€™s needs and preferences or comfort choices unless you know that all the many variables are the same as yours can be very risky.

Latex is the most durable of all the different foams and a latex mattress doesnā€™t get ā€œlumpyā€. The lumpiness of a spring mattress comes from the foam layers compressing into the springs (the ā€œlumpsā€ are the individual springs you are feeling) and latex is an even material with the equivalent of millions of springs.

There are too many variables to predict how long any mattress will last for any particular person (you can see some of the durability variables in post #2 here) and as you can see it depends on your body weight, the firmness of the foam, and many other variables including how much softening leads to the loss of comfort and support for you (and ths is different for each person).

You can see here though some examples of latex mattress (single layer firm latex) that have lasted for several decades.

The materials in the mattress will determine how long a mattress lasts ā€¦ not who puts the materials together. The weak link of most mattresses is also in the upper comfort layers and using higher quality materials in these layers such as latex will increase the durability of a mattress more than anything else.

Depending on the suitability of your comfort choice though and on the softness of the comfort layer you choose, a realistic estimate would be in the range of 10+ years and possibly longer. It would certainly be more durable than a similar mattress that used less durable comfort layers such as lower density polyfoam (which is what is used in most mainstream mattresses).

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Hello,

Iā€™m close to making a final decision on this mattress. Does anyone know which firmness level is comparable to the Marriott Mattress by Jamison?

Thanks

Hi Crybaby,

To have some idea of this you would need to know the details of the Marriotā€™s layering and ILDā€™s and then you may be able to ā€œtranslateā€ it into an approximation for a different design using ā€œeducated intuition and guessworkā€. The closer the design of the Marriot to a mattress you are considering (in terms of types of material, layer thickness, layer ILD, mattress design, and cover and quilting), the more accurate a comparison can be.

I would be hesitant to go by the subjective comparisons of others unless they have tested them objectively side by side (rather than in timeframes that are far apart) and have enough experience in testing mattresses to know that their comparisons and what they feel may apply to others as well because other peopleā€™s perceptions and ā€œsubjective memoryā€ of the relative softness or firmness of two mattresses may be very different from your own.

Phoenix

Iā€™ve been thinking about getting one of them too, and I think Iā€™ve read elsewhere instead of asking you what ILD you want they ask you on a scale of 1-10 with 6 being slightly more firm and 4 being slightly more soft. Iā€™ve read a 6 corresponds to about a 28 ILD. At first I was worried about synthetic latex versus natural latex but Iā€™ve read that even the synthetic latex doesnā€™t have near the same amount of chemicals that memory foam does (Iā€™ve only had my memory foam mattress 3 years and it sags in the middle and I keep having neck pain that may or may not be from the softness.)

Iā€™d go with more firm, and if you need it softer you can always add a topper. If you go with soft, and then decide you want it more firm youā€™re kind of out of luck.

Hi ualdayan,

This is good advice and itā€™s always wise to choose a little firmer if you are undecided between two firmness levels.

The neck pain could also be ā€œpointing toā€ a pillow issue as well if your head and neck arenā€™t in the best alignment in all your sleeping positions. The pillow thread here has more information about the ā€œneedsā€ and preferences connected with pillows.

Phoenix