Adjustable Base

Does using an adjustable base on an innerspring pocket coil mattress cut the life span of the mattress?

Hi we3pete,

Assuming that the mattress was made to be compatible with an adjustable base (and you should always check with the manufacturer about this) … I think it would be reasonable to assume that any additional or ongoing stress on a mattress would shorten its lifespan to some degree yes but if it’s designed to be used with an adjustable base then in practical terms I don’t think the slightly lower durability would be a significant factor and the benefits of having an adjustable bed would be worth it to most people. I think this would affect a pocket coil mattress more than a mattress that had a more flexible and durable foam base layer like latex but again it would be hard to quantify and the amount it would affect durability would depend on the specifics of the pocket coil and the use of the mattress.

Phoenix

My assumption is a latex bed would be best suited for an adjustable base. I am a warm sleeper, will the latex be able to be configured so I won’t get hot? Should i stay with an innerspring model

Hi we3pete,

Most pocket coil innersprings or other types of innerspring that have been specially constructed to work with an adjustable bed as well as most “all foam” mattresses will work fine on an adjustable bed. It’s always best to check with the manufacturer though to make sure that using the mattress on the adjustable is covered by their warranty.

Innersprings are deeper support layers and they all have some type of comfort layers (usually some type of foam or fiber) over them which will either improve or detract from temperature regulation more than the innerspring itself. You can read more about the different factors that affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here and post #29 here. Out of the three main types of foam (polyfoam, memory foam, and latex) … latex is generally the most breathable and sleeps the coolest all other things being equal. The layers and components that are closer to your body will have a bigger effect on temperature than the deeper layers so if a mattress had an innerspring and then 4" of Talalay latex and another mattress had 6" of latex or polyfoam as the support layer instead of the innerspring and had the same 4" of Talalay latex on top and they all had the same types of cover and quilting and protector and sheets and bedding they would be roughly the same in terms of temperature regulation because the type of support layer in the mattress would have the least effect on temperature.

Phoenix