Adjustable bed frame with latex mattress

We’ve been trying out different adjustable beds with latex mattresses and have noticed that all of the quilted outer covers bunch up when elevating the head part of the bed. The bunched up portion is concentrated on the angle of the bend and i personally feel it on the arch of my back, Would placing a latex topper with a knitted plain cover help? I thought of buying a 10" latex and placing a 2" topper for this reason. I don’t know if this is wise or impractical since the topper may shift leading to constant adjustments when flexing the bed. Any advice on this will be appreciated!
So far, Ive narrowed my choices to Savvy rest, CozyPure and Flexus. We are needing a split king and like the idea of knowing whats exactly in the mattress via the zipper. We had a Kluft latex queen size for 8 years and I had emailed the company twice with questions but have not heard from them yet. I was surprised to learn that a twin XL size latex Kluft was going to cost me close to 4K! This particular mattress only had 2" latex and their proprietary core whatever that maybe.

I am doing the same thing - split-king, trying to find the right latex mattress. I am looking to balance price with a nice plush softness. Seems like most of the disruptive online companies $700 mattresses are reviewed as firm.

Thanks for the tip about the ticking bunching up, hadnt considered that.

Hi hernalo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

This is normal with any mattress placed upon an adjustable bed base unit and bending up at the head section, as you’re effectively “shortening” the top dimension of the product, and the fabric is independent of the foams within the mattress and is already at its “resting length” when the mattress is flat. With a stretch-knit fabric, the covering needs to be able to move and not negatively impact the feel of the highly point-elastic foam layers within a mattress, and the movement of this covering would be similar to the mattress pad and fitted sheet placed upon the mattress. The thickness of the cover will dictate how noticeable these creases are to you, and of course they are not permanent. When starting from the lying position, you are stretching the covering beyond its normal resting length and these “creases” should not be as noticeable beneath your body and complaints about such creases are not common, although I respect that everyone has their individual sensitivities. I should mention that the least “obtrusive” creases will be with the various stretch-knit covers, a bit more with stretch-knit quilted covers, followed by “stiffer” cotton quilted covers, and most noticeable with “adjustable-friendly” innerspring mattresses with thicker quilt panels.

It may be a little less noticeable with a thinner topper, but if the material covering the topper is the same as what is used for the mattress, you may not notice as much of a difference. As this is something that is particularly sensitive to you, I would suggest testing out a configuration as you mentioned in person to see if you perceive a noticeable difference.

A good latex topper with a covering will tend to stay in place quite well, but by nature will need to move a bit as the mattress is adjusted up and down to contour to the prescribed angle. Besides having a decent mass to help it stay in place, your mattress pad and fitted sheet would be placed over the mattress and mattress topper in unison, and this also helps to keep the topper in place. Topper use along with an adjustable bed base is quite common.

Having an adjustable component-style system is attractive to many people, not only for knowing what is inside of the product, but for the ability to be able to customize the product in the future. The covering on the Flexus and CozyPure will be more flexible than what is used on the Savvy Rest, although the Savvy Rest will break-in a bit as time moves on, but it is not made to be as flexible by design as the CozyPure and Flexus. Both CozyPure and Felxus are members here, which means that I think highly of them, their products and their advice. Savvy Rest also uses high quality materials and manufactures a quality product, although they can sometimes be a bit more of a “premium” price range.

Unfortunately, many manufacturers choose not to share much about the specifications of their componentry, and this happens across all price ranges. I advise against purchasing any item where you can’t learn about the componentry on the inside, as it is how you’re able to determine durability.

If you have any other adjustable bed questions or topper questions, please let me know, I’ll be interested in learning about any selection you might make.

Phoenix

Hi jerbear,

I’d be cautious about using industry designations like “firm” or “plush” as absolute guidance, as there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings, and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. In addition, different people can also have varied perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here ), so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science. In other words … the only reliable way to know whether a mattress will be “firm enough” or “soft enough” for you will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience. In lieu of that, I would suggest a phone call placed directly with any manufacturer you’re considering and describe what you’re trying to find in comfort, and they’ll be best able to advise as to whether their offerings are close to what you may desire. Many online manufacturers offer a variety of comfort choices with their “simplified choice” products. You may also inquire at that time about any potential return/exchange policies should your purchase not turn out as well as you had hoped.

There is a listing of some of the common “distruptor” mattresses that you mentioned in theSimplified Choice Thread here. You may also wish to look at some of the online site members listed in post #21 here, who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

You can see some of my comments in post #3 of this thread regarding fabric movement on any mattress placed in an adjustable bed situation. It’s generally not a concern for the majority of people.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for all the valuable information on this site. I feel more confident in making a choice now.
Hernalo

Hi hernalo,

You’re welcome! I’m glad the information here has been helpful to you. I’ll be interested in learning of any decisions you make.

Phoenix

I’m also about to purchase a layered natural Talalay mattress that will be used on existing adjustable foundations/frames that O already have from my 8 year old Tempurpedic TempurCloud mattress that is not working for my wife anymore. She is very petite and I’m also concerned about discomfort from the quilted cover bunching in raised positions. Would the thickness of the mattress (number of layers) have much of an effect in this. Subjectively I would think the thicker the mattress the more graduated the angles of curvature would be at the inflection points. Is this a fair assumption?

Hi rpr,

While people have different sensitivities, the “bunching” as been described is not a common complaint with latex mattresses used in adjustable bed, even with mattresses using a “stiffer” cotton quilted covering. When lying upon the product and adjusting up, there is enough elasticity, even in a firmer latex mattress, to accommodate the bending of the mattress up and down, as the covering isn’t securely fixed to the latex layers. This would potentially tend to be an issue with quilt panels that were thicker and more permanently affixed to a mattress, such as with an adjustable bed-friendly “traditional” innerspring mattress.

Of course, everyone has individual sensitivities, so if you think this could be a concern for your wife I would try to find something comparable on an adjustable bed base locally to try, even if it was an innerspring mattress, as that would tend to be to more “extreme” for comparison. But overall, this is not something that is a common complaint, even with the “traditional” types of mattresses I described.

Phoenix