Adjustable Bed Mattress

Will any latex mattress work with an adjustable bed?

Thank you

Hi golsonM22,

In general yes although thicker mattresses (more than around 12" or so) may not be quite as flexible and follow the contours of the adjustable bed quite as well.

Phoenix

Do you know of anywhere near Cape Cod, MA (Bourne) that I could try out a real latex mattress before ordering?

Thank you!

Hi golson22,

Post #6 here should help :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Do you have any specific recommendations for my dad for his adjustable bed? He is about 200lbs and a side sleeper.

Thank you

Hi golson22m,

Adjustable beds all perform very much the same functions so I would make the choice based on the features that are most important and on the comparative prices. His sleeping position or weight would not really be relevant.

Post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread here it links to should help you decide on the best option for your dad.

Phoenix

Thank you. So the different ild numbers or layering are not important here?

Thanks again!

Hi golson22m,

Adjustable beds are only a mechanical system that uses solid materials and don’t have ILD’s (which is a measure of the softness of a foam) or layers. They are a solid platform that is used under a mattress that can be adjusted by raising the head and legs to different positions and many also have other functions as well such as various types of massage functions, remote options, settings for different pre-programmed positions or wall hugger features (that keeps you close to your bedside table when you raise the head of the adjustable bed as well as different weight capacities for the mattress and people on them that they can be used with.

Just to be clear in case I’m misunderstanding you … were you asking about a mattress or an adjustable bed to use under a mattress or something else?

Phoenix

He has the bed already; just looking for a new mattress for it and he would like to try latex.

Thank you,
Glenn

Hi golson22m,

OK … I understand … I thought you were looking for an adjustable bed not a mattress instead of the other way around.

ILD is a comfort spec not a quality spec and the layering and softness/firmness of a mattress depends on which design best matches his specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). What is “best” will vary with each person. There are links to some of the “theory” in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here but in general it’s best to choose based on careful and objective personal testing if he is looking locally or based on more detailed discussions with a manufacturer or retailer (hopefully in combination with some local testing) if he is looking online.

If he follows the steps and guidelines in post #1 here then he is much more likely to make the best possible choices with a latex mattress or any other type of mattress he prefers. Latex is very flexible and works well on an adjustable bed in almost any design or layering.

Phoenix

Thank you. I will pass along this information to him.

Glenn