Adjustable firmness options besides air and latex?

I like the idea of being able to adjust firmness separately for the his and hers sides, and I don’t like the air approach of something like Sleep Number. Sleep EZ seemed perfect for me, based on the great info here, and the fact that, not only could you change each side’s firmness independently, you could also alter the feel of each side by re-ordering layers or using them in different combinations… it seemed like it would be nearly impossible for someone not to be able to find some combination that worked for them. The problem is that my partner feels she may have a sensitivity to latex and would like to avoid it. Is there anything else without latex that offers comparable independence and flexibility? p.s. – neither of us like the “sinking in” feeling of memory foam.

Hi anotherscott,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The first thing I would do is have some testing done by your partner to see if they indeed have a sensitivity to latex. There is a wealth of information about latex allergies in this thread and the articles it links to. Overall there are three different types of sensitivities/allergies to latex, most of which are due to contact with the type of latex used in medical equipment, and since most of these proteins are rinsed out of foamed rubber latex, it is rarely an issue (you’re not in direct contact with latex when sleeping upon a latex mattress), but I understand if someone has a concern.

If you’re eliminating latex and memory foam, your other options would generally be innerspring, polyfoam or natural fibers. You could create your own DIY mattress using components of your choosing. Some of the online foam mattress manufacturers will split each side upon request. You’re looking for something quite specific, and I don’t track the individual variations and specifications of all of the manufacturers and companies mentioned here on the forum, as it would be a larger task than anyone could maintain with a market that constantly changes, but two good places for your to begin your search for mattresses that use no latex or memory foam but are configurable would be the site members here, and the listing of some of the simplified choice mattresses here. If you find a product that looks interesting as far as componentry but you’re not sure about the ability of it to be split, I would be sure to contact them to see if that is a possibility, as it sometimes can be accommodated. There’s also a listing of mattresses that use no foam here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply! I have been lurking here on and off for over a year… buying a mattress is a bit overwhelming. On one hand, I don’t have the time/desire to become an expert, but OTOH, I’ve bought a number of mattresses in the past 15-20 years, and not ended up being exceptionally happy with any of them, so it would be nice to pick a winner! And more importantly, one my partner likes, since she’s actually much fussier than I am. And yeah, it is SO tempting to buy one of the big brands at the big stores you walk into, because it’s so simple, and some of them feel so good, you figure, how bad could it be… but if I learned one thing from this site over the year, it’s… don’t do that!!

Hi anotherscott,

I’m happy that you’re taking the time to do your research. As you’ve already discovered, you can’t feel quality or durability when lying upon a mattress in a showroom - you need to be educated about what is inside as well.

Phoenix