Adjustable King bed questions with Brooklyn bedding

hey all , great forum …glad I stumbled on it…
i am changing from a queen to a eastern king. Planning to get the Brooklyn bedding king medium. I was also considering the SleepEZ 10000. Should i consider anything else ?

I am 150# 5’9 and my wife is 130 5’7 so we figured we didn’t need latex all the way to core based on our weights and that the BB was right for us.

Now we also wanted an adjustable bed. I need some advise here
the 3 systems i am looking at are the Reverie 8Q, Serta Motion custom II and the Serta Motion perfect III

the Reverie 8Q is a split king, i don’t see myself using a split king since I find the idea of a bed separated down the middle annoying. So we would have them sync’d for use with the Easten king BB mattress. I didn’t like the retainer bars on the 4 corners, looks ugly so considered the other 2 below .- Price $2.5k

Both the the Serta Motion custom II and the Motion perfect III offer divided kings instead of split kings which i prefer based on the need of a single king mattress… I am trying to see if the Motion custom II is worth the extra $. the price difference is $1.8K vs $2.4K.
I see some features listed but don’t know if i understand them correctly
90-Degree Independent Head Tilt Support - this is the top 4 some " of the frame right ?, does it actually move the head part of the mattress or due to the foam layer of the mattress and general shape does it get absorbed by the mattress to have a diminished return ?

MegaFit Retainer - is this better than the velcro of the Serta motion perfect III

SleepGPS- really ? or just marketing hoo hah.

outside of this is there any difference in parts/quality , I see that the upholstery is better on the Serta Motion custom II, but i could just put the Motion Perfect III inside a bed frame to increase its aesthetic appearance.

thoughts?

Hi glaxicus,

You are certainly looking at two great choices. SleepEZ and Brooklyn Bedding are members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Both of them use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress but they are also in completely different categories. The SleepEZ 1000 is an “all latex” component mattress and the Brooklyn Bedding mattress is a latex/polyfoam hybrid. There is more about the pros and cons of latex/polyfoam hybrids vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

The SleepEZ 1000 is also a component mattress that allows you to choose the type and blend of the latex layers and to fine tune the comfort or support of a mattress both before and after a purchase by rearranging the layers or exchanging a layer while the BME is a “finished” mattress that has a specific design although they have 3 different firmness levels that you can choose from before your purchase and they also have a topper that can be added to a mattress for those that make a choice that is too firm. There is also more about the pros and cons of a component latex mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

Latex is also much more costly than polyfoam so the SleepEZ mattress is more costly than the Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver.

There are also differences between their return/exchange policies as well. SleepEZ has a 90 day trial period that allows you to exchange a layer for $30 or to return the mattress for $99. The BME has a 120 day trial period that allows you to return the mattress for a refund without any cost. Both of them are plenty of time to decide whether the mattress (or a specific layering combination in the case of SleepEZ) is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (and isn’t just interested in “selling you” any mattress they can convince you to buy) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

This is much too broad a question for anyone to be able to answer because there are probably hundreds of mattresses that may be worth considering either in your area or online.

If you wish to broaden your research and are only considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

If you also wish to look at local options then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

[quote]Now we also wanted an adjustable bed. I need some advise here
the 3 systems i am looking at are the Reverie 8Q, Serta Motion custom II and the Serta Motion perfect III

the Reverie 8Q is a split king, i don’t see myself using a split king since I find the idea of a bed separated down the middle annoying. So we would have them sync’d for use with the Easten king BB mattress. I didn’t like the retainer bars on the 4 corners, looks ugly so considered the other 2 below .- Price $2.5k

Both the the Serta Motion custom II and the Motion perfect III offer divided kings instead of split kings which i prefer based on the need of a single king mattress… I am trying to see if the Motion custom II is worth the extra $. the price difference is $1.8K vs $2.4K.[/quote]

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices and models and features can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call them to find out their best prices rather than just looking at the prices on websites.

Most people use a split king adjustable base with a king size mattress rather than a split twin although of course some people prefer to be able to adjust each side separately (or wish to keep this option open) and prefer the split twin. Once you have a king size mattress on the beds and have synced the two sides together you won’t be able to tell whether they are split or divided.

A divided king with single motors that operate both sides would probably put more wear and tear on the motors than a split king with a separate motors for each side although both of them would probably be reliable over the longer term. The only other real benefit that I can see for a divided king at least “in theory” would be a lower cost and if the cost of a divided king isn’t lower than a comparable split king with similar features then it probably wouldn’t be worth it to me.

If one adjustable has features that the other one doesn’t have then you can make price/features comparisons based on the features that are important to you. For myself … when I was first looking at adjustable beds some features such as massage seemed attractive (although there weren’t nearly as many options available at the time) but in my own personal experience the only feature that we use consistently and that is important now is the ability to adjust the bed for watching movies, working in bed, or reading. Even the attraction of the massage feature has faded over time and I would suspect that for at least some people the other features that are currently available would also become less important over time once the initial novelty has worn off as well. Of course you are the only one that can really decide which features are important and which ones are likely to continue to be important to you over time and would be worth paying extra for because each person may have different priorities and most of the features that are currently available with adjustable beds are more about cosmetic or lifestyle choices than “better sleep” choices.

Yes … this would move the head forward in the raised position which would make it easier to read or watch TV. A pillow under your head would have a similar function but it can move or fall when the bed is raised. Different mattresses can be more or less flexible so there are some differences between how closely different mattresses follow the contour of the adjustable bed underneath it but it would certainly be noticeable for any mattress that is suitable for an adjustable bed.

I don’t have any personal experience with either one so I can’t make any meaningful comments about them but I haven’t heard of any significant issues with any of the different systems that are used to keep the mattress from sliding. Hopefully some of the members here that are more familiar with them than I am will see your post and share their experience.

I would put it in the category of a “lifestyle option” that could be of interest to some people primarily based on curiosity but it would be questionable how much they can really help you with sleeping better. You can see a few comments about sleep monitors in post #2 here.

I would consider all the major adjustable bed manufacturers to be closely comparable in terms of reliability so I would use price and feature comparisons to choose between them.

Phoenix

thank you very helpful.

I primarily want the adjustment in the bed to work on my laptop and watch tv,

I also noticed that Costco has the sleep science Split King for 1600 plus tax and comes with white glove service, which is least expensive anywhere. I think its high at 16" from the desciription and i can tell if its a wall hugger too.

the alternative is the divided king serta motion perfect 3 at 1800.

i am in northern va btw

Hi glaxicus,

I don’t know any specifics about the Sleep Science adjustable base other than what they have on their website so you may need to call them and find out any additional information you need and whether it has a wall hugger feature. Their adjustable bed appears to be good value I would certainly consider purchasing a Sleep Science adjustable bed from Costco if it compared well to the other adjustable beds I was considering based on features/price comparisons. If it doesn’t have a wall hugger feature then I would compare it to other adjustables that don’t have this feature which tend to be in lower price ranges.

The Northern Virginia/Washington, DC list is here but I don’t keep any records for adjustable beds that are available in stores in each area … only mattresses.

Phoenix