Adjustable mattress information

Still searching for a mattress that is comfortable for someone who is 6’1" and 5’0". We saw an advert for the Reverie and, while pricey, have been considering it since it appears truly customizable. I understand Flobeds is customizable as well, but it appears like there would be less chance of damaging latex when it’s in a tube as opposed to thin sheets.

I saw in a previous post about the ILDs and their percentage of natural rubber (60% if I remember?) While I had a cursory understanding of ILD for memory foam, latex still confuses me. Is there is any difference in ILD whether dunlop, talalay, or a blend?

We sleep on our back and side. I need support for my lower back and something that doesn’t make my shoulders ache if I sleep on my side. Ergo, the appeal of customizing. We are considering a King or Split King.

If we go for an adjustable base I want one that is a true wall hugger and doesn’t move away from the nighstand. Zero gravity works great for him, but I think I’m too short to appreciate it. Any advice is appreciated.

Dream:
Tub: PU 2.8 density 45ILD
Topper: 2" Latex. Density 60-65

Dream Supreme:
Tub: PU 2.8 density 45ILD
Topper: 2" Latex. Density 60-65
1" PU 2.3 density 20 ILD

Hi JoD,

Comfort is a subjective experience that is relative to each person. There are also too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to be able to predict which mattress would be best or “most comfortable” for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Trying to choose a mattress based on the many different and interacting specs that can affect comfort/pressure relief or alignment/support (or only using ILD which is a small piece of a much larger puzzle) without a reference point based on your own personal experience that can help you “translate” how different combinations of specs “feel” to you in your own real life experience are most likely to lead to “information overload” or “paralysis by analysis”.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress and the risks involved in each (and how to mitigate the risks) in post #2 here.

Latex is a very durable material and isn’t easily damaged in normal use unless you pull or tear it (which doesn’t happen when you are sleeping on it). There are certainly no weak links in either one of the mattresses you are considering.

ILD is not particularly meaningful with memory foam because it changes in response to temperature, humidity, and the length of time it is continuously compressed. Memory foam ILD ratings are not comparable to the ILD ratings of other types of materials because ILD testing for viscoelastic materials produces different numbers than it does for fast response materials. An ILD that would feel “firm” with memory foam (say 18 ILD) would feel soft with other fast response materials.

ILD in latex is not related to the percentage of natural rubber and any type or blend of latex can be made in a wide range of ILD’s. ILD numbers also aren’t comparable between different types of materials or even different types of latex partly because there are different ways to measure ILD (see post #6 here) and partly because ILD itself is only one of several specs that affects how soft or firm a material (or a mattress) will feel to any specific person (see post #4 here).

The torso length for people with different heights are closer than the difference in their heights would otherwise suggest and the zero gravity position would be useful for any height.

There is more about purchasing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but since PPP is the most important part of any mattress purchase … if you are considering an online purchase I would focus on your more detailed conversations with each of them so they can use the information you provide them to help “talk you through” which of the options they offer would have the best chance of success. This along with the options you have after a purchase to further customize a mattress or to exchange individual layers or components or the mattress itself or even return it for a refund can reduce the risk of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you can’t test a mattress in person before you purchase it.

Phoenix

Well we’ve taken the plunge and purchased the Reverie latex mattress and adjustable frame.

Looking forward to testing it out. The most convincing aspect is the 101 night test with a full refund and they pick it up and ship it back if it doesn’t work out. All returns are donated to Wounded Warriors.

I mentioned the Mattress Underground membership and Jeremy (who walked us through the ideal configuration) and they offer 5% of the sale price toward accessories.

Hi JoD,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know the Reverie mattresses are unique in how they are zoned and they are certainly a high quality choice.

Two of them also have the option to change the default pattern in the DreamCell cylinders should you need to and they all have a great return policy as well so they are also a low risk choice as well.

Most of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

We did some more research and temporarily put our purchase on hold. Back on track though. Might as well try. Here is some information consumers might want to know:

The sales person yesterday had us believing they made everything in the US. We asked whether manufacturing is in US or assembly and he said both - they have their own plant in NY. I said I read that they made the latex in China and he said they did business in China but everything in the USA came from the NY. Even in a HuffPo Live interview, Martin Rawls-Meehan, says they manufacture in NY. On Linked in, same thing.

Did some more searching and…bill of lading on screen, the latex is manufactured in China.

So we rang again this AM. Apologies for misinformation were given. Then our salesperson got his supervisor on the phone to better answer questions. Supervisor said the latex came from their own plant in China. The website, www.dasheng.com says they are the largest manufacturer of latex in China. He said it was their plant -indirectly and not on paper - vested interest in both companies - and they have stores all over China, etc… You would never know this from their website. All it says is, “DreamCells, made of natural rubber (also known as natural latex) are anti-microbial, hypo-allergenic, dust mite resistant and extremely durable.”

So I asked about the process. He said they used their own proprietary HT latex. HT is the only process they use according to the website. From the site:

“HT Latex foam mattresses uses at least 70% natural latex and at most 30% synthetic latex. The minimum 70% natural latex requirement in all HT latex foam blends ensures the perfect combination of environmentally friendly, “green” latex foam that is easy to clean and safe for consumer use over the life off the product.”

I’m a copywriter, so any copy I read on a website I take with a grain of salt. And when there are omissions, apprehension kicks in.

After finding this link This product is no longer available.

and reading there that they say it will pass US certification (and reading a news update that they are certified by Intertek), we decided we might as well try the 101 nights.

It’s a bit hard to rest easy when we have no idea what standards are in place. We thought we were buying something made ‘locally’ and its cores has a huge unregulated, carbon footprint.

Hi JoD,

The 30% is synthetic rubber and the 70% is natural rubber so the material is a blend of natural and synthetic rubber which means it would be a good quality and very durable material. There is more about natural and synthetic rubber in post #2 here. They use a variation of the molded Dunlop process.

In addition to the rubber itself (either natural or synthetic) … all foamed latex also includes other substances that are a necessary part of the compounding formula to foam and cure the latex so outside of any fillers that are used … a foamed latex core will generally contain about 90 - 95% natural or synthetic rubber (see post #8 here).

As far as I’m aware … with the exception of one small latex manufacturer in Guatemala … all the molded Dunlop latex you will find anywhere in North America is made somewhere in Asia (most commonly Sri Lanka, India, Viet Nam, Malaysia, Thailand, China) so this wouldn’t be a concern for me. The only Dunlop latex made in North America is continuous pour Dunlop made by either Latexco or Moutaintop foam.

I personally would have no issues with the quality or durability of their latex.

Phoenix