Adjusting foundation height?

My husband and I are about to purchase a new bed. Due to some spasming issues of his that have been keeping me awake, we’ve decided to buy two twin extra longs and push them together to make a king size bed while still giving us isolated sleeping areas. Since we’re going this route, we figured one pro is we’d each get to buy the mattress we really like, which for me is latex and him memory foam.

The problem is, it seems it may be tricky getting the mattress heights to match up exactly. I"m looking at either a 10’’ or 13’’ model, whereas the one he’s looking at is 12’‘. It seems most foundations are sold as either 5’’ or 9’'. Is there a frame or platform that would allow us to adjust the height on one side to make both mattresses even height? Or are we forced to try to find two different platforms/frames that add up to the correct height? I was planning to just get a wire type platform for each of our sides.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, as well as all of the informative material on this site.

Hi jlnick,

I don’t know of any foundations that can be customized to the degree that you would need (although there are quite a few different “standard” heights available between different manufacturers) but I would probably suggest buying an ultra firm layer of polyfoam which can be ordered in any thickness and size you want to put in between the mattress and the foundation to bring the heights up to the same level.

Phoenix

Thanks for the prompt and informative response. A layer of foam to compensate for the height different would be perfect. Where do I buy something like that? I was planning on purchasing my mattress from Sleep EZ - is this something they’d be able to sell me, or is there somewhere else I should look? Thanks in advance.

Hi jlnick,

SleepEz could probably supply you with what you need since they also manufacture other types of mattresses besides what they sell online. I would certainly ask them. You may want to wait until the mattresses are side by side though to confirm exactly how much more thickness you will need to make sure the mattress heights “match”…

Other source for polyfoam layers are listed in post#4 here.

Phoenix