Advice about memory foam mattress

We come from out of the country and just moved to Austin tx. We have no mattress at all and we desperately need your advice to take the best decision about our new mattress. We started our search with no information at all, we went from sleep number and several popular mattress stores that carry mayor brands, then to Denver mattresses and we liked the green choice memory foam mattress.

Looking for some reviews of this mattress we found this wonderful work that you do, and learned that it wasn’t a good choice. So followingmsome stores you recommend we won’t to urban mattress and found two alternatves that are in our budget, and my husband and I felt confortable.

Can you give us your advice on the conforma cool gel perfection 3.5 or the harbor plush both mattresses from evosleep by sherwood

Thanks for your comments!

Hi Gonzales,

Your own careful and objective testing following the testing guidelines linked in post #1 here is the best way to know if a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences)

I’d be happy to let you know my thoughts about the quality of any mattress you are considering and whether it has any potential weak links but you would need to find out the specific layer by layer information from the retailer and post them here (or post a link that has all the specific information). A mattress is only as good as its specific construction, components, and materials regardless of which manufacturer’s label is on the mattress and without this information there is really no way to make any meaningful comments about them.

Phoenix

Thanks for your quick response. What i found on their web page is the following.

For the Harbor plush:
A layer of H.D. Firm soy-based support Foam
Two layers of 3.5" Super H.D. Soy based upholstery grade convoluted foam
A layer of H.D. Medium firm soy based comfort foam
A thick layer of Talalay natural latex
A layer of sĂşper soft Soy based quilt foam
Two layers of hyper soft soy-based quilt foam
100% natural and chemical free Fire barrier
Heavy weight certified organic cotton knut ticking

For the conforma cool gel perfection 3.5:
A fire barrier sock (wraps the entire foam core)
A 6" Foam encased Soy-based H.D. foam support core
A layer of H.D. Transitional memory foam
A thick layer of H.D. Memory foam
A thick layer of H.D. Gel infused cool memory foam
100% natural and chemical free fire barrier sock (wraps the entire foam core)
Super heavy Weight Lycra knit Ticking with outlast technology

You can also ser the imagen of the layers on the following address:
http://www.sherwoodbedding.com/_literature_114166/EvoSleep_Natural_Digibuns

http://www.sherwoodbedding.com/_literature_116202/EvoSleep_Conforma_Cool_Digibuns

So far thats all the information I have. Hope it can give you something… I will call them too.

Thanks again for your time

Hi Gonzales,

Unfortunately the specs you listed are not nearly specific enough to have any real meaning or help identify any potential weak links in the mattress. They only describe the type of materials that are used but don’t say anything about the quality or in some cases the thickness of the materials. Every type of material has a range of quality from very low quality and low durability (which is best to avoid completely) up to high quality and durable versions.

What you need to make any meaningful assessment of a mattress is the type and thickness of all the layers along with the density of any polyfoam or memory foam (density determines quality and is the most important part of durability) and the type and blend of any latex. The retailer should be willing and able to provide these for you or phone the factory to find them out if they don’t have the information available in the store.

Phoenix

Phoenix:

I was able to talk to the retailers and provided this info for the two options we are considering.

Harbor Plush breakdown:
7/8" Hyper Soft
7/16" 1.2 / 15 S Soft
1.5" 1.5 / 15 S Soft
.9" 19 ILD Talalay
7/8" 1.5 / 23 Topper
3.5 o 2.5 1.8 / 32 Convoluted
3.5 o 2.5 1.8 / 32 Convoluted
7/8" 1.45 / 40 Firm Base

Conforma Cool 3.5 breakdown:

1 " 3.7 Lb Gel Infused Visco
1.5 " 5.0 Lb Visco
1 " VX13400 Transitional Visco
6" 1.5 / 28 F/E Core

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Hi Gonzales,

Some comments …

Harbor Plush breakdown:

7/8" Hyper Soft: Density information missing so I would assume 1.2 or lower which is low quality/density
7/16" 1.2 / 15 S Soft: Low quality/density
1.5" 1.5 / 15 S Soft: Medium quality/density
.9" 19 ILD Talalay: High quality/density
7/8" 1.5 / 23 Topper: Medium quality/density
3.5 o 2.5 1.8 / 32 Convoluted: Bottom end of good quality/density
3.5 o 2.5 1.8 / 32 Convoluted: Bottom end of good quality/density
7/8" 1.45 / 40 Firm Base: Medium quality/density

If you listed these from top to bottom then the top layers have more than 2" of 1.5 lb or lower polyfoam in the comfort layers of a one sided mattress which means that I would tend to be very cautious because of the risk of foam softening unless you are in a low budget range (or lower weight range) where durability is not as important.

Conforma Cool 3.5 breakdown:

1 " 3.7 Lb Gel Infused Visco: Just below the guideline of 4 lbs so I would consider this to be medium quality/density
1.5 " 5.0 Lb Visco: Good quality
1 " VX13400 Transitional ViscoL: Medium quality (4 lb)
6" 1.5 / 28 F/E Core: Medium quality polyfoam but not likely to be a durability issue.

I would consider this mattress in terms of quality/density because there are no obvious weak links as long as you are not in a higher weight range (over the lower 200 lb range or so where I would start to be cautious with more than an inch of 4 lb memory foam and 1.5 lb base fo0am) and as long as it is suitable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

In terms of value it would depend on what you are comparing them to and on your personal value equation.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot for your comments. I went this morning to sleep world and try some mattresses. Now i have more questions.

They have two memory foam mattresses that i felt good in terms of ppp. The symphony is a good value mattress that i think can compare to the conforma that i was asking you about. This one has:

1 inch 5.3# .memory foam
1 inch 4.1 lbs cool gel memory foam
6 inches 13/40 plant based foam
Limited deflection foundation

This one for 699 on a king size set… What i see is less confort layers of better quality than the conforma 3.5. Do you think is a good option for less than half the price?

The other option is at the same price level Of the conforma but if i understand well this Also has better quality… Correct me if Im wrong

Thanks Phoenix, I appreciate a lot your comments, even if My weight is around 125 lbs, i was concerned because the conforma is on the upper limit, so I went this morning to sleep world and Now I have more questions :huh:

There are two memory foam mattresses that I found in our ppp.

The symphony is a value mattress with:
1 inch of 5.3# memory foam
1 inch of 4.1 lbs of cool gel memory foam
6 inches 13/40 plant based foam

The original 9"
4 inch 5.3# visco elastic memory foAm with a cool gel layer
5 inch high density plant based natural foam
Bamboo moisture and temperature control cover

The symphony at 699
The original at 1699
The conforma 3.5 at 1599

Is it worth the price difference? How this two compare in terms of quality/value vs the conforma?

Hi Gonzales,

The comfort layers here are all fine and either medium or high quality/density which would be suitable for your weight.

The bottom 6" support layer is 1.3 lb density which is very low quality/density and especially with a thin comfort layer would have much higher odds of foam softening leading to the loss of comfort and support. I would look for 1.8 lb density or higher or 1.5 lb density with lower weights or a lower budget mattress that had thicker comfort layers. In other words I would be cautious with this mattress and would probably avoid it.

this has a good quality comfort layer (5.3 lb memory foam) but the density of the support layer isn’t listed. Again I would look for 1.8 lbs or higher unless budget or other considerations indicated that 1.5 lb density would be a suitable choice.

Making mattress comparisons also needs “mattress only” prices that don’t include a foundation.

In terms of quality the symphony would not be a mattress I considered (because the risk would be too high even for a low budget mattress and there would be better options IMO)

A comparison between the other two would depend on knowing the density of the polyfoam in the original 9" and on the other parts of your personal value equation (such as which one was more suitable in terms of PPP after more extended testing and any other options and benefits that would be included with each purchase).

In terms of the durability of the comfort layers alone … 4" of 5.3 lb memory foam would likely be more durable than the 3.5" of mixed memory foam layers in the Conforma but one may be more suitable for your needs and preferences and the suitability of a mattress is just as important if not more so than just durability. In your weight range 4 lb memory foam would be a durable material and looking for more durable materials wouldn’t be nearly as important.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge. I will double check tomorrow with sleep world the core density. Thanks