Advice about Memory Foam

Hi!

I live in NYC and since I have no car in the city and very little time, I am quite limited with the amount of places that I could visit. I went to Dixie Foam today, since I saw all of the good feedback here, and liked the Dreambed Deluxe, which also seemed to be very fairly priced.

However, I am worried by the heat retention. Booth, who was working there, assured me that it wasn’t a problem, but I wanted to ask if anybody here has had any experience with this (or any similar) mattress and could let me know whether he/she found this to be a problem. As mentioned before, I would have been happy to check out innerspring and latex mattresses in other places such as Shovlin, but simply don’t have the time and means to get all the way to their store.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi rd3482,

The first thing I should mention is that the Dreambed Deluxe doesn’t have any memory foam in it. It’s made from a high quality polyfoam.

It’s not really possible to know how warm any specific person will sleep on any mattress because there are so many variables involved not the least of which is where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range.

Having said that … polyfoam is generally more breathable than memory foam (which is the type of foam that most people complain about concerning heat) and for most people it would be fine in terms of sleeping temperature. Even with memory foam the number of people who sleep too hot are a minority.

In addition to this … there are many other variables that can have a significant affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress besides just the foam in the comfort layers which includes the type of mattress protector you use (see post # 89 here) and the types of sheets and bedding on your mattress. Natural or viscose (rayon, bamboo etc) fibers or materials in your mattress protector and sheets will tend to sleep cooler and wick moisture and heat better than synthetic fibers and materials.

Overall … the odds are good that you will be fine with the Dreambed Deluxe.

I should also mention that they also sell latex mattresses and toppers at DixieFoam Beds. NOTE ADDED: They are now a member of this site as well

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your valuable input.

I didn’t even notice that the DreamBed was not made of memory foam…!

I tried their latex mattress in the store today, but for some reason didn’t care too much for it. To be honest, I couldn’t even tell you why… Maybe because it was not set up in a most inviting way and didn’t offer the plush top of the DreamBed Deluxe.

That said, from your experience, do you think that I would fair better (heat and, perhaps even more importantly, to alleviate the shoulder and neck pain that I usually experience at night-- I am a side sleeper) with the Cloudrest, or even just get a latex mattress from them and a topper?

Help. Even though I have read the tutorial and tried to get myself familiarize with everything, it just seems as if the array of options is so large…!

Thank you!!!

Hi rd3482,

There really isn’t any way for me (or anyone) to know either of these because there are too many unknowns and variables involved besides just the type of foam in your mattress. As I mentioned most people wouldn’t experience temperature issues with this mattress and the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is your own careful and objective testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) or your actual sleeping experience. I certainly wouldn’t buy any mattress if your testing indicated that it wasn’t a good match for you.

There are thousands of different types and designs of latex mattresses (and any other type of mattress as well) and some of them may work very well for you and some may not be suitable for you at all. It would depend more on how well a specific mattress design matches your unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP than on the type of material that it uses.

Having said that … shoulder and neck pain can often be a pillow issue just as much as a mattress issue because a suitable pillow will keep your head and neck in better alignment and can also help with shoulder pressure. There is more about pillows in the pillow thread here.

Phoenix