Advice for Hybrid Latex/Coil Mattress

Hi js715,

There is some missing information and I’m not sure if the layers and components are listed in order from top to bottom (or bottom to top) but if the polyfoam layers are an inch or less on each side then there would be no obvious weak links in the mattress (although I would still want to know the type and blend of the latex and the more specific details of the design along the lines of post #4 here).

Yes you would most likely feel a difference between different ILD’s. Both the thickness and firmness of the latex and the type and firmness of the innerspring underneath it will affect the pressure relief of the mattress.

You probably mean 13.5 gauge wire which is on the thicker/firmer side but the innerspring won’t normally be the weak link of the mattress anyway so I would evaluate it based on your testing for PPP (including motion separation with both of you on the mattress if you sleep with a partner) rather than on the specs of the spring.

A box spring that is designed to work with an innerspring mattress is generally a good choice and can have a positive effect both on PPP and on the durability of the mattress (it adds some “give” under the mattress and cushions any “shocks” on the springs, border wire, and helicals which can affect their durability) but as he mentioned it can affect motion separation and movement on the mattress. Whether you choose a solid foundation (or a modular grid such as you have) vs a box spring would really be a matter of preference (and can change the feel and performance of the mattress) but it’s important that the manufacturer confirms that your foundation would meet their warranty criteria. The “best” choice for a foundation/box spring with a new mattress is generally the one that the manufacturer recommends, especially if it’s designed to be part of and affect the performance of the “sleeping system”.

Phoenix