Advice for King Latex Config (2 adults) Twin Config (teen daughter)

Long-Time Lurker close to Pulling the Trigger on Sleep EZ 10 inch king-sized Latex Mattress!

Me: 50, 5-11 , 165-170 lbs, side sleeper (occasionally roll over on back), CPAP user
Wife 50, 5-8, 150-160 lbs, side and back sleeper

Recently, the wife and I checked out the feel of a latex mattress at the only place within a reasonable distance of where we live. The place turned out to be a SavvyRest dealer. He had 3 configurations on display, and we both really liked the talalay Soft, Soft , Medium (top to bottom) one the best. The dealer said that configuration was his most popular, and his (and his wife’s) personal choice. He claimed that it was supportive enough for his back, even though he looked significantly heavier than myself…

He was super nice, very informative (he even mentioned the MU) and did not pressure us at all, but I just cant see paying SavvyRest prices when an organic mattress is not a requirement for us and the non-organic equivalent at Sleep EZ would be half of the SavvyRest price.

My concern is that as comfy as the S-S-M config felt, that would be like asking for trouble with our sometimes achy backs. We were leaning towards a Soft, Medium, Firm config from Sleep-Ez and hoped that the first two layers would be good enough for side sleeping, My right shoulder often hurts when I sleep on my right side, probably because I trained myself to sleep facing away from my wife so the CPAP doesn’t blow on her. Would a Soft, Medium, Medium, config be a better choice?

For our 16 y/o daughter,5-7, 130 lbs…do you think a finished two -layer (3 inch soft and 3 inch medium) talalay mattress found at mattress247’s ebay store for $550 be thick enough? The seller claimed the finished mattress was 9 inches in height (latex layers+ padding on both sides+ two=sided cover).

Hi milpool,

While Savvy Rest is certainly a great quality mattress and their Dunlop is certified organic which can be important to some people (although there are also other component latex mattresses that use organic Dunlop as well that are also in lower budget ranges) … I certainly agree with you that it can be somewhat difficult to justify their prices compared to some of the other very similar options that are available to you … especially if you are considering a mattress that uses one or more Talalay layers which isn’t organic and is the same material as SleepEZ uses in their organic line (100% natural Talalay). As you know SleepEZ also has the option for blended Talalay which is also a high quality material and is in a lower budget range yet.

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience … hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more information in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (such as SleepEZ) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Having said all that … I would agree with you that if you are prone to sore backs especially that having two soft layers on top of your mattress would be more risky in terms of alignment. I would discuss this with SleepEZ and then follow their suggestions which are based on many years of experience and then if you choose S/M/F and you are “outside of the averages” and it does turn out to be too firm for you then you can always exchange a layer if you need to. At the very least I would make the middle layer soft Dunlop rather than soft Talalay since it is denser and has a higher compression modulus than Talalay which means that it will become firmer faster and be more “supportive” than Talalay in the same firmness level but the odds are good that S/M/F all in Talalay would likely work well.

Again the only way to know for certain will be based on her actual sleeping experience but with her lighter weight and the quilting layers on top of the latex it would be more likely be “in the range” that would be suitable for her. Val is also knowledgeable about the mattresses she sells and would be a good source of guidance as well.

Phoenix

Thanks very much for your quick reply and especially for all the information you provide!