Advice needed on adjustable bed bases brands

Hi all, I’m new to the forum & have found it invaluable for researching mattresses - thanks to the admin for creating it!
My wife and are looking to move from the old innerspring mattress /boxspring model to an adjustable bed w/ a memory foam mattress; we like the feel of the Sealy Optimum Radiance but have concerns about the longevity & value of Sealy; with the help of this forum we discovered Novos bed & after some contact w/ the company have largely settled on them.
We live in Lexington, KY (Home of Tempurpedic & 15 miles from a Leggett & Platt plant-sadly “No, they’re not cheaper here”) and need advice on which brand of adjustable base to buy: feature-wise we really only want: 1. Wall hugger 2. to raise the head & foot of the bed; we are fine w/ a wired remote and don’t care about massage. Due to local bias I have researched L&P pretty extensively but find their line doesn’t include a wall hugger feature until the S Cape model which includes massage, wireless remote @ a substantial price - am I correct in this or did I miss something?
I recently learned of the Ergo Motion brand which offers a wall hugger model w/ wired remote & head /foot adjustments for roughly half the price of the L&P S Cape. However, I can find relatively little info about Ergo quality & longevity. Also I’m unsure where to buy Ergo products either locally or online. Our preference is an Eastern Split King but can do a Split Cal King if necessary.
Any thoughts or input on the best bang for the buck basic adjustable base? I’m open to other brands & buying locally or online. Simultaneously we are remodeling a house so price is a significant factor.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

I have the same question, re Split King (not Cal). What Ergo Motion model is equivalent to S-Cape. I found what I believe to be a reasonable price for S-Cape on Amazon. Are there any “real” differences?

Question 2 - I haven’t seen any recent reviews of Arizona Mattress…its site only has a few from 2012? Still recommended by past reputation?

Question 3 Are there any east coast (South?) distributors of latex that are comparable to Arizona in quality and price? Thus far I have been to Healthy Back and Organic Bedroom in Raleigh. )

Thanks

Hi TangledupnBigBlue,

It seems that you have decided on a mattress but just in case you also wish to consider any of your local choices then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Lexington, KY area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed at the end of post #3 here.

[quote]need advice on which brand of adjustable base to buy: feature-wise we really only want: 1. Wall hugger 2. to raise the head & foot of the bed; we are fine w/ a wired remote and don’t care about massage. Due to local bias I have researched L&P pretty extensively but find their line doesn’t include a wall hugger feature until the S Cape model which includes massage, wireless remote @ a substantial price - am I correct in this or did I miss something?
I recently learned of the Ergo Motion brand which offers a wall hugger model w/ wired remote & head /foot adjustments for roughly half the price of the L&P S Cape. However, I can find relatively little info about Ergo quality & longevity. Also I’m unsure where to buy Ergo products either locally or online. Our preference is an Eastern Split King but can do a Split Cal King if necessary.
Any thoughts or input on the best bang for the buck basic adjustable base? I’m open to other brands & buying locally or online. Simultaneously we are remodeling a house so price is a significant factor.[/quote]

I would consider all the main manufacturers of adjustable beds (including Leggett & Platt and Ergomotion) to be closely comparable in terms of their quality/durability and I would treat an adjustable bed purchase as more of a “commodity” purchase based on “features vs price” comparisons since they all perform the same basic functions with different “bells and whistles” added. There is more about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the adjustable bed topic that it links to that also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references that can help you make the most suitable choice.

Phoenix

Hi sgt,

I split your post into a new topic so your “other” questions don’t get mixed in with another member’s topic.

You can see my reply to this in the original topic in post #2 here.

Arizona Premium/Mattresses.net is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. They are certainly a “value leader” for latex mattresses.

A forum search on “mattresses.net” or on “Arizona Premium” (you can just click the links) will bring up many more comments and more information and feedback about them.

I would also be very cautious about using mattress reviews (positive or negative) as a reliable source of mattress research or information and in many cases they can be much more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress that is most suitable for you (either online or local) and how to minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here.

Post #13 here also has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked) are listed in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the advice Phoenix - you’ve eased my mind about my adjustable bed choices. We are planning to visit some the mattress stores you listed in the post to which you referred me before buying from Novosbed. If only to be more certain of our choice. Thank you for the information & especially for creating this site; it has made an overly complicated & confusing process much easier! Keep up the good work.

we purchased the liggett and Plat from the original mattress factory and are very pleased. you can go to their store and try it out.

Curious…what model and what size?
Thanks
Steve

Thanks Sharon, I’m thinking of a road trip to Florence to check them out.

we have the king so two twin bases and one king mattress is what we went with. works for us.

S-Cape?

Hi Phoenix, at your suggestion we decided to check out some of the regional manufacturers near to our area. Today we tried out the Bowles Mattress & fell in love w/ their G-6000 model. It features a bamboo cover and 2" Gel Infused Memory Foam, 2" Soft Latex,
VLS Visco Lumbar Support & a 6" High Density Polyurethane Foam Core. John @ the Middletown, KY was very helpful, answered all questions & left us alone long enough to test out the models we were interested in.
We really love the feel the latex adds & so upon returning home I did some online shopping to see what other options were available - finding the Brooklyn Bedding “Bamboo Bliss” which appears to be comparable in materials & construction.
My question arises from the differences in the density of the base foam. In the Bowles G-6000 the base foam density is 1.8 Lbs HD foam which I believe you have said is the standard; however, the BB Bamboo Bliss features 2.17 HD foam.
The cost difference is roughly $100 more per twin mattress (we are buying 2 to create a split king on an adustable base)for the BB. My question then is does the difference in the base foam justify the cost differential? By ordering from BB I avoid 6% KY sales tax which offsets about 1/2 of the cost difference. I’d welcome your thoughts on the subject.

Hi TangledupnBigBlue,

[quote]My question arises from the differences in the density of the base foam. In the Bowles G-6000 the base foam density is 1.8 Lbs HD foam which I believe you have said is the standard; however, the BB Bamboo Bliss features 2.17 HD foam.
The cost difference is roughly $100 more per twin mattress (we are buying 2 to create a split king on an adustable base)for the BB. My question then is does the difference in the base foam justify the cost differential?[/quote]

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

I don’t know the specifics of all the materials and components in the design of the G-6000 so I can’t really make any meaningful comments about it or how it compares to another mattress because it would depend on all the specifics of both mattresses (not just on any difference in density between the base foams) and on any of the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. If you can provide the specifics of the materials and components in the G-6000 (see this article) then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the materials inside it or the mattress as a whole or some of the pros and cons of each mattress.

Based on their description here … it uses a combination of latex and memory foam in the comfort layers (2" of each) which is a different design than the Bamboo Bliss which has 3" of Talalay latex in the comfort layers so they really aren’t an “apples to apples” comparison.

Phoenix