Advice on 3" Latex Topper

Soaked up a lot of great information and purchased a soft [Soft (23 ILD), Medium (33 ILD), and Firm (44 ILD)] Talalay mattress from Spindle when they had them in stock . Neil was very helpful. I was a bit worried that the mattress would be perceived as too firm for us since we’re coming from a memory foam topper and we liked that feel (just didn’t like the effort it took to move around and the heat).

After about 2 weeks of use, I’m very happy with the Spindle mattress. My wife isn’t so happy. She tested out a Pure latex bliss nature and really liked that mattress with a 3" PLB topper, yet she was also okay with a Savvy rest bed that was soft/medium/medium.

I’m 6’0 and 180lbs. My wife is 135 and 5’4".

I told her that I’d buy a topper so that she is satisfied. I’m thinking about getting a PBL topper since she liked it in the store. I’m not sure which topper it was (slow or fast), but it looks like their toppers tend to be around 14IDL (please correct me if I’m wrong).

I was looking for other options too. It looks like sleep like a bear has a very soft talalay topper too (https://sleeplikeabear.com/product/TalaTech_Talalay_Latex_Foam_3_inch_Queen.htm). Most other places seemed to have higher IDL toppers. I’d appreciate it if you could chime in if you know of any other low IDL toppers that I should consider.

Phoenix, thanks again for all of your time and effort that you put into this forum.

Hi TwistedRoad,

The 3" topper on a Nature would certainly be softer than what you have now (the topper would be @ 15 ILD if it was the Active Fusion) but depending on the type of latex in the Savvy Rest you tried it would be closer to what you are currently sleeping on (at least in the top layers) so I’m not sure why your wife is feeling it as being softer.

They don’t make the slow response any more so it would have been the fast response and if it was the Active Fusion then it would have been 15 ILD.

The better sources for latex toppers I’m aware of are listed in the component post here and if you are interested in LI Talalay then both SLAB and KTT sell the complete range although KTT has lower prices.

Phoenix

Sorry for the miscommunication. I was trying to say that she noticed a big difference between PBL and Saavy (PBL being softer), but thought she could be happy on either the PLB or Saavy Rest like configuration. We both think that our current mattress is somewhat similar to the Saavy Rest configuration that we tried. That gave me some confidence in going with Spindle or a similar type of mattress.

I’m very happy so far with the mattress. She’s about 80% satisfied, but she recognizes that it is a big improvement over what we had before.

Thank you for the excellent advice and recommendations - it will help keep my wife happy. I

Hi TwistedRoad,

If your wife is 80% happy after only two weeks then I would be very cautious about adding 3" of ultra soft latex to your mattress because of the risk of potential alignment issues. There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

If you do decide to add a topper then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to has more information about choosing a topper that can help you use your actual sleeping experience as a reference point to choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the best chance of success.

Phoenix