Advice on all-foam mattrass (Europe)

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum and site. And boy let me tell you how happy I am that I found this ABSOLUTE GOLDMINE.
I’m from Europe (The Netherlands) and my gf and I want a new bed. Well, let the BS and the hell called mattrass industry begin.
So far we’ve been to a couple of shops and got a few options sorted with guargantuan prices because a bed is a luxury product nowadays. But even the top of the line in my own country, is falling short when it comes to information and transparancy. I googled and searched everyone, but to no avail. Then I found this website at 01:00 AM and I got tears in my eyes.

I’ve read every article and tips/dont/knows/etc on this site to prepare me and widen my knowledge.

But one thing is still a little bit vague to me: an all-foam matrass.

I’ve seen an allfoam mattrass at a retailer which peaked my intereset. I’m talking about a 19cm (7 or 8 inch I guess) HR polyuether foam mattrass. The ONLY retailer in my entire country which specifies EVERYTHING; so that alone is a big plus.

They have 2 mattrasses; a innerspring and a all-foam (HR poly). But I cant decide nor find on this website if one type of mattrass is better then the other. Can somebody give me advice?

Linked are the mattrasses

All-foam
1000 pockets innerspring

If needed, I can translate the information on the pages.

Hi Jona91,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! I am glad you have found us. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind words. We certainly appreciate it. It’s good to know that the site is useful and able to prepare consumers for a successful mattress shopping experience.I am glad you read through the site articles and learned enough basics to be able to steer clear of the MI money-making machines. There is a great deal of hiding behind marketing stories and downright misinformation that so often comes with making a profit.

I am pleasantly surprised with the level of detail and transparency of Ravensberger Matrassen and the range of products they offer. It looks like their customer service is also excellent. They would be a good addition to our Trusted Members.

This is one of the most common questions on the forum (ie. which mattress type or firmness level would be better for me? The short answer… it is wildly different from person to person because there are far too many variables and unknowns (body types, sleeping styles, preferences, physiology, age, health conditions, sensitivities, special circumstances, etc) to use any formula, specs (either yours or a mattress), or “theory at a distance” based on basic height/weight/sleeping position information or any other person’s experience to choose a suitable mattress that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful and objective testing on local mattresses (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) that you can use to decide on a mattress that is “best” for you in terms of PPP (whether it is for local purchase or as a guideline for online purchase)

I’ll do my best to give you some insights that you can run by your needs, preferences, and by your Mattress buying personal value equation along with other things that are most important to you (including the price and the options you have available after purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Price-wise they are both the same and they both use good/quality components. ErgoSpring is slightly thicker at (23.5 cm) vs Ergo-MED at (21 cm.) ErgoSpring would be more breathable and temperature regulating than the All Polyfoam HR mattress. Ergo Spring has two firmness options in one (as it is flippable) vs Ergo Med that comes in one firmness only (however you can choose from 3 available firmnesses). While a true HR polyfoam (like the one used in Ergo-MED) is one of the highest grades of polyfoam with high-performance polyols in its formula it only approaches the qualities of Latex. The Latex in the ErgoSpring would more durable in any layer. The Ergo-MED is sculpted and engineered to render the 7 different zones but ErgoSpring’s latex in combination with the spring is naturally more point elastic (takes on the shape of the body which provides an even support and aids in pressure relief), has a higher support factor (gets firmer faster with deeper compression which helps with deep support), is more breathable (regulating humidity and temperature), has higher resilience, elasticity, and “liveliness” which provides for a better “feel” for most people, is more natural than polyfoam for those who prefer more natural materials, has fewer complaints about off-gassing and odor, is biodegradable, is less flammable, and is overall a much superior material in any layer

Having said that … it all depends on you and your gf’s needs and preferences.

(23.5 cm) ERGOspring® 1000 7-zone tonvormig pocketvering matras construction
• 4 cm Dunlop Latex (Blended 20% NR & 80% SBR) from Latexco (SG 72)
• 1000 pocket springs (at 100 x 200 cm dimensions) Barrel-shaped and electrothermally hardened springs (Wire gauge 1.8 / 2.0 mm (7-zone division) 7 turns and wire length 107 mm
• 4 cm Dunlop Latex (Blended 20% NR & 80% SBR) from Latexco (SG 72)
• Pocket springs from AGRO Germany
• Manufactured by Van Landschoot Belgium

Is a flippable mattress with two firmness levels (H3 medium-firm for higher BMI individuals and H2 soft-medium for normal range BMI sleepers up to 95 kg) The springs from Agro are double tempered and of good quality. The barrel-shaped springs increase resistance under more pressure. It is a durable unit with thermally hardened springs and good point elasticity. I’d ask them about the density of the polyfoam perimeter edge they use which sometimes can be the weak point in a mattress and can degrade over time if lower density foams are used. The high-low technology designed by Van Landschoot is intriguing. “Slightly higher and lower springs are alternated” to create the 7 zoned mattresses. Between the pocket springs and the latex cover is a 400 gr/m² felt (wool and fixed with latex) for good pressure distribution. The cover is stretchable Tencel

(21 cm) Ergo-MED® 70 Topsegment 7-zone HR koudschuim matras
• Both Comfort and support are achieved through the proprietary sculpted HR polyfoam with 7 zones (SG 70)
• Cover is made with Green-Cotton® ticking with Lyocell and is 4 way zippered and washable

All in all the best way to know for sure is for you and your girlfriend to pay Ravensberger a visit and try both beds. I hope this breakdown helps with deciding which of these mattresses is best for you. I’d be curious to learn about your decision and what led to it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

once again, thanks a lot for your astounding knowledge on this subject. With your information, I made an appointment at the store. I was pleasantly suprised.
The guy working there has already heard of the Mattrass Underground, as I explained my story/journey buying a mattrass in this industry. He was very knowledgeable as well, and could give me exact specifics of each type of mattrass.

We tested a total of 4 different mattrasses: the innerspring, the allfoam SG 70, the allfoam SG60 and a Talalay latex. The latter didn’t feel good so we scrapped that.
The guy working there advised the allfoam SG60 instead of the SG70 because the SG70 was the mattrass that was most returned; he explained while the mattrass was really good and the zones were also extremely well done, there were people who didn’t ‘like’ the particular zones en therefore returned it. So he advised the allfoam SG60 instead; also zones, but not that explicit. We tried it and it was also a very good mattrass.

The 1000 pockets innerspring was also a good mattrass. Obviously stiffer then the allfoam, you could feel the support, but ultimately my gf and I both agreed that while the support was good, the pressure relief was less then the allfoam.

In the end, we decided to take our changes with the SG70 allfoam, because it was on a completely different world when talking about pain relief, spinal alignment and (lumbar) support. So we decided on that.

To answer one of your question; the foam used at the sides of the 1000 pockets innerspring mattrass was, according to the guy working there, probably SG40. He would need to check this with the supplier.

I also told him about my post on this website and your reaction about Ravensburger and he said he would check it out :slight_smile: Told him the store would be a valuable addition to the Trusted Members.

So Phoenix, thanks for all the info. I will keep this thread updated with my findings; we can try the mattrass up to 30 days, after that you cant return or switch it for another type of mattrass. I hope our choice is right, but with all the information provided and tested, I’m sure it wil be.

Hi Jona91.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :lol:
Thanks for sharing your shopping, mattress, and testing experience at the Ravensberger Matrassen. Readers find value in having a peek at someone else’s specific criteria and thought process that leads to a particular mattress choice.

More often than not best “mattrass” match results from a combination of a person’s basic mattress knowledge, mattress testing while “listening” to body cues, and intuitive insights, and finding a retailer manufacturer that has the customer’s best interest at heart. You seem to have scored high on all counts…so fingers crossed that SG 70 is a keeper for both you and your gf.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share as you go through the break-in and adjustment period and get used to a mattress.
Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

thank you for your response. I will keep this thread updated with our findings throughout the coming monthts.
That said, do you have any idea where to get the best information about blanket/duvet? Since we will need a new one to accomadate the size of the new, bigger, bed.

Again, thank you for your valuable insights.
Greetings,
Jonathan

[quote=“Jona91 post=90861”]Hi Phoenix,

thank you for your response. I will keep this thread updated with our findings throughout the coming monthts.
That said, do you have any idea where to get the best information about blanket/duvet? Since we will need a new one to accomadate the size of the new, bigger, bed.

Again, thank you for your valuable insights.
Greetings,
Jonathan[/quote]

Cant see an edit button, but I found thisthis post to help me forward with information about comforters.

Hey Jona,

I am new to The Mattress Underground and I have read your topic about mattress from Ravensberger. I am very curious what your experience is with the Ergo-MED mattress from Ravensberger since I have orded the same one. I would appreciate you for providing an indept information regarding your experience with the Ergo-MED mattress.

I am looking forward to your response.

Kyrill

HI Kyrill,

We have been sleeping on the allfoam Ergo-MED 70 (this one) for over a month now.
We have to say, its very comfortable and we are very happy with our purchase. The mattress is very heavy, but has a very good point elasticity which makes it very comfortable for portruding points of your body, like shoulders or hips. With the different zones, my shoulders neatly tuck away while my sides and head stay on the same level. Truly a very good mattress. At first i was a little skeptical about an all-foam vs a traditional innerspring mattress but i will never go back to spring again.
The breathability is also good, as i dont get sweaty nor does the mattress get warm/warms me up. To be fair, we are using a lambswool blanket, so that also helps tremendously with the temperature regulation. I also bought 100% organic (so no chemical used) satin cotton covers and the bed feels like a bed made for a king/queen.

One note; i begin to sleep on my side, then lie on my stomach, then wake up on my sides again. Even when lying on my stomach this mattress feels very comfortable, with just enough pressure on the right places. That said, if you DONT sleep on your sides at all, i think the Ergo-MED 60 would be the better choice, since it doesnt have that ‘extreme’ shoulders zone. The salesman at Ravensberger said that a lot of people switch to the ErgoMED 60 because they dont fit or like the zone(s) on the 70. We took the shot (with the 30 day return/switching policy) and never looked back. A very well made mattress with good pressure, very very comfortable and no ‘bouncy’ feel because lack of innersprings. Still elastic enough to ‘bounce’ back tho.

If you have further questions about something specific, just let me know

Hey Jona,

Thanks for your response. Great to hear that the mattress suits you. I have tried different mattresses from Ravensberger and so far none of them is comfortable or are not providing enough support and/or comfort. My spine is just not aligned properply. I don’t know about your body type and how wide and heavy your hips and shoulders are, but most of the mattresses I tried, my shoulders are not sinking deep enough. The Struktura-MED 60 for example is not proividing (enough) room for my shoulders to sink in and it was also lacking support for my lower back (it was basically too soft). The weird thing is that I have ‘tested’ the Struktura-MED 60 Duo-MED slatted base in the showroom of Ravensberger with the same firmness I had when I purchased the Struktura-MED at home at that time. The only difference is that the slatted base of mine is bigger (140 by 200 cm and by Ravensberger 80 by 200 cm). I am wondering if you are using a slatted base from Ravensberger or a slatted base at all in combination with the Ergo-MED and how that experience is.

Anyway, I think that the Ergo-MED H3 might meet my expectations and needs since I can adjust my slatted base to make certain areas firmer or softer and also considering the fact that the bigger variant of the Duo-MED slatted base is a bit softer overall compared to tinier variants.

Edit: Ergo-MED H3 with premium mattress cover.

My height is 179cm tall, weight is ~75 kg. Normal build. I think the shoulder zone in the MED70 might be what you are looking for; you can really feel the ‘sink in’ effect.
We also have the slatted base from Ravensberger, however, we didn’t adjust it yet since it was already good enough. Maybe in the future we will make some tweaks. To be fair, i dont think the slatted base will make THAT much of a difference. That being said, the shoulder zone in the MED70 truly is something else. I reckon if your bigger/broader/heavier then me, surely you will sink enough in this specific mattress. II hope this mattress will suit your needs!

That’s great, I also think the shoulder zone of the Ergo-MED might be something I was looking for. To behonest, I think the slatted base will make a difference in spine alignement and it’s benefit is that the mattress doesn’t necessarily has to be perfect. I am less taller than you and lighter in terms of weight (177cm ~62 kg). I have read reviews of the mattress that the actual lenght could be 195cm instead of 200 cm. How is that in your case and is it bothering you at all? Besides, how are you experiencing other zones of the mattress (besides shoulderzone)?