Advice on Bed frame, box spring, foundation

I need a cheap but durable bed frame that will pair well with my newly purchased ghost bed, Any amazon suggestions? or should I get the ghostbed boxspring, although I would prefer something more mobile, and the ability to store stuff under the bed. Number one complaint I find, is that they are not durable and break/bend, I would like none of that.

(Amazon.com)

(Amazon.com)

(GhostBed All-in-One Metal Foundation | GhostBed®)

-no return policy on the ghostbed foundation, which worries me if something goes wrong.

Any other options, Please list and advise me, Not really willing to spend more than 200 on just a bed foundation,something durable, and a great value, Thank you!

Hi Digitair,

Any foam mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

There is more information about the different support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here. There is also more information about bedframes that can be used under a foundation in post #10 here.

I would be somewhat cautious with these type of lower cost wire grid platform foundations (see post #10 here). While they may be OK over the short term or even the medium term with a mattress that has a firmer polyfoam support core … the support surface area isn’t as large as support systems that have wooden slats so there would be some additional risk of the mattress sagging into the gaps between the wires over the longer term. There are a fairly large number of critical reviews that talk about the frame or legs bending and that indicate that the quality and strength of the steel and the foundation itself isn’t as high as it could be and there are also a percentage of them that appear to develop squeaking issues over time that may be difficult to locate and solve.

This has flexible slats that are designed to flex under the mattress along with plastic slat holders that can break and I would also be skeptical about the overall strength and durability along with the strength of the metal frame and legs. I would avoid this one.

-no return policy on the ghostbed foundation, which worries me if something goes wrong.[/quote]

This foundation meets all the criteria for your mattress or any similar mattress with a polyfoam foundation so even if you don’t keep the ghostbed you could use it under another foam mattress. All you would need to go with this would be a bedframe.

Phoenix

Would you consider the ghostbed foundation to be exceptionally better than other wood foundations boxsprings, or are all wood box springs basically offer the same thing and hold up the same way

Example: Amazon.com

I wouldn’t consider it “exceptionally better” - it is as Phoenix mentioned appropriate for your mattress or others like it.

There are of course variations in wood foundations available, many of which are listed in the link in post #1 in this thread. You can find variations in the quality of wood used, the thickness and width of the slats, the spacing between the slats (I personally prefer 3" or less between slats), the manner of joining (lags, wood screws, drywall screws or velcro, for example) and the number of support beams and their reinforcement. If you’re limiting yourself to $200 or less you may be eliminating some of these choices.

You may also consider a foundation that is already assembled from a local retailer. You might be surprised to find a very heavy-duty one at a good price like the photo attached. The downside is that it is not collapsible.

Good luck.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Hi Digitair,

There are certainly variations between the quality and strength of different wood slat foundations in terms of the quality of construction, their design strength, the type, strength, and stiffness of the wood frame and slats, the number of slats, and the distance between the slats.

The distance between the slats with the Classic Brands foundation is apparently almost 5" and they apparently also use a mixture of wood (probably made from whatever is available to them at the lowest cost) so I would be a somewhat cautious and I would tend to look for something that is stronger with gaps that are closer to 4" or less.

Phoenix