advice on mattress selection (Dormio, Sleeptek, FoamSweetFoam)

I tried a bed at a local shop that specializes in organic mattresses and bedding, and I liked a mattress they called by their own name, which they told me was made by a Canadian company called Sleeptek, and consisted of, from bottom to top, 4" of firm or medium, 4 medium, and then 2" of soft, all of Dunlop latex. I saw on Sleeptek’s website that they sell a mattress called the Euro 4 that looks very similar and I think is the same mattress as they look the same and the configuration looks the same. The Euro 4 on Sleeptek’s website is made of, from bottom to top, 4" of firm or medium, 4 medium, and then 2" of soft, all of their Dunlop latex. In the local shop, I liked the 4" firm, then 4" medium, then 2" soft on top. The saleslady told me the bottom two layers are customizable, but the 2" on top is not, which also goes along with Sleeptek’s online description of the Euro 4 mattress. Sleeptek’s ILD’s are soft 20-22, medium 32-35, and firm 38-42.

When I looked up the shop’s website, I see it appears to be a franchise of a chain of organic, natural, or “green” type beds , and I found a website for the parent company, which has a store locator that lists the local shop I visited. On the website they show the mattress I tried in the shop by Sleeptek, which they call by another name and not the Euro 4, but the saleslady told me it was made of 4" firm, then 4" medium, then 2" soft Dunlop and made by Sleeptek. The mattress on the website is 1000 less than the price I was quoted in the local shop. Why?

The Euro 4 on Sleeptek’s website is nearly 1000 more than the same mattress I see on the parent company’s website of the local shop. (Sleeptek does not appear to sell directly to the public, but refers you to dealers). Also, the mattress I liked in the shop is nearly 1000 more if I buy it from the shop. Are they the same mattress? They look the same and the description of materials looks the same. So I would rather buy it from the parent company’s website if it’s the same because it’s so much less expensive than the similar one at the shop.

Do you recommend I buy the one from that website, or pay 1000 more if I buy it from the shop? This is an expensive mattress and I need to get the best deal I can on it, especially as I need to by a good protector for it, too. The shop said I could exchange layers for 60 days from purchase date, but no returns. I don’t know if the parent company offers that or not.

Also, I am considering Dormio even though I live too far from their showrooms (I live in southern Connecticut). I think the Mirage or the Layton come closest to the one I liked in the shop (the Sleeptek they sell by their own name), but I can’t see them so I’m not sure, and I don’t know the price as they’re not on their website. I also am interested in Foam Sweet Foam, but don’t know if I would need a 12" mattress or if a 9" would be soft enough. (I think the 12" is too tall for my bed.) I’m a side sleeper, 5’4" and 118 libs, with some shoulder pain and lower back pain from an innerspring mattress that doesn’t give enough for me. My husband is 240 lbs and 6’3", and a side sleeper. I like Foam Sweet Foam’s comfort guarantee, but don’t want a 12" mattress if I don’t need it because it’s just too tall for my headboard and bed frame, which I love. The Sleeptek is 10" and felt perfect after testing it in the local shop, and 10" is the perfect size for my bed frame and headboard.

Also, does anyone know about the quality of zippers and construction on these mattresses? The Sleeptek zipper is hard to get to as it’s under the edge, but it seems very smooth and reliable. What about Dormio’s and Foam Sweet Foam’s zippers and construction? I liked the stretchy cotton/wool cover (uppermost part of the mattress that zips off) on the Sleeptek because it doesn’t change the feel of the soft latex very much.

Please advise me on the quality of these mattresses and what you think…? Of course I want quality and value, a good comfort guarantee, good construction, and a good feel.

Thanks so much.

Hi goldilocks12,

There is more about the many factors that can be involved in how any manufacturer or retailer prices their mattresses in post #14 here but of course there is no real answer to this because the internal financials that show how a manufacturer calculates their prices are proprietary and this isn’t information that a manufacturer would share with the public so from a consumer perspective it’s really a matter of knowing how to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses based on the materials inside them and all the other criteria that are most important to you (one of which is price of course).

There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can match or approximate another one in post #9 here. If two mattresses contain the same type and blend of latex in the same layer thicknesses and the same firmness level with the same cover then they would be the same mattress even if the names are different.

While I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations … there is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

If the return/exchange policies are different then you would need to decide on whether any additional cost for a better return/exchange policy was worth it to you but if the return exchange policies are the same and there are no other differences between the two that would be important to you then of course I don’t see any reason to pay an additional $1000.

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress in “real life”.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

All of the mattresses you are considering use high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them.

Once you are down to your finalists and you are confident that they would all be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability (which there aren’t) then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and (post #2 here) can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

Phoenix

Thank you for your helpful and quick reply, Phoenix. I am leaning more towards buying the latex mattress from the local shop because I like that I can try it and they say they will help with layer exchanges for the first 90 days after purchase. The comfort guarantee and warranty is from Sleeptek, the manufacturer, and the warranty sounds typical in that it’s only for defects or body impressions of over 1.5". Do you consider Sleeptek a good manufacturer? Does this sound like a good choice, or should I continue looking, and where?

Do you know if there are any very good mattress manufacturers or small stores in my area that I should visit before I make this decision? I live in Greenwich, CT, and have shopped at the Clean Bedroom and could also visit Yankee Mattress Factory in Agawam, MA, if you think it’s better? Are there other better ones in my area? I could even go to Dormio in Mississauga in a couple of months during a business trip, but I would only really want to do that if their quality and value are better than what I can get closer to home. What do you think?

I know to evaluate a mattress for pressure point alleviation and spinal alignment, but is there anything else I should consider? How long should I lie on a mattress when testing it? Is there an algorithm based on body spec’s (height, weight, BMI?) to calculate what types of latex layers and in what configuration they should be in?

I almost bought a Big S mattress from a huge mattress retailer last week before I stumbled upon this website and started to learn why I should not buy a mattress there, and I am so grateful I did. Thank you so much for being so helpful and for sharing your knowledge with me and with other mattress shoppers.

Hi goldilocks12,

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that a retailer or manufacturer you are considering is willing and able to provide you with the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress before making any purchase.

I would be very cautious about brand shopping because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. The name of the manufacturer on the label also won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress would be a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here. Outside of making sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (or that you have good options after a purchase if it isn’t or if you aren’t sure) … in terms of assessing the quality and durability of a mattress I would focus much more on the design of the mattress and the type and quality/durability of the materials inside a mattress than I would on the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Having said that … Sleeptek is a Canadian manufacturer that specializes in latex mattresses and they do make some very high quality and durable latex mattresses although they can also be in somewhat higher budget ranges so I would make some careful “value” comparisons with other mattresses that use similar materials.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Greenwich, CT area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. You certainly have some good options to choose from in the general area.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress in “real life” but your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and personal experience will always be the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of firmness, comfort, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences).

The testing guidelines suggest spending at least 15 minutes on any mattress you are seriously considering.

Phoenix