Advice on mattress selection

Hi there,
after long months of hard research,
I have decided to buy a
Memory foam customizable mattress from one of the members list of this website MEMORY FOAM COMFORT.
Initially I was gonna go for the latex customizable mattress but due to certain situations it’s totally out of my budget now. So I decided to go for the next best option and more affordable one which is the Memory foam customizable mattress. This is the mattress composition:
4 Rearrangeable comfort and support layers, each with a unique feel and function:
2" CIRRUS MEMORY FOAM 4 lb/ftÂł / 12 ild : this layer I asked if they could change it for another type of memory foam they have which is 5lb and has an open cell technology which is supposed to make it cooler than other memory foams. They said they can change it for that one.
2" ORGANIC DUNLOP LATEX 5 lb/ftÂł / 20 ild :
2" HIGH RESILIENCE FOAM 3 lb/ftÂł / 30 ild :
BONUS LAYER 2" HIGH DENSITY FOAM 2 lb/ftÂł / 40 ild:
MATTRESS SUPPORT CORE
4" HIGH DENSITY FOAM 2 lb/ftÂł / 40 ild :
I like the fact that the layers can be rearrange or change because the feel of mattress can change with time or your needs can be different from time to time. I have muscular dystrophy so I can very easily feel when a mattress is wearing off even when the mattress is not that old, so I’m hoping that buying a customizable mattress will make it easier for me to only rearrange or change the top layer instead of having to get rid of a whole mattress just because the top layer is wearing off slightly. I wonder what durability each layer can have. That’s basically my question here what’s the lifetime of each layer, will only the top layers wear off or all of them, I know a latex mattress would have given me more resilience and durability but that’s just not an option for my budget anymore. I’m hoping this memory foam customizable mattress will do just as good for my needs, I do think it will offer me more confort as I lack muscles in my arms and makes it hard to have a good night sleep in firm surfaces.
My second question would be what type of base you think goes better with this type of mattress? I understand plywood can be an option to put on top of my box spring but what do you think?
Thanks for your answers, I’m getting to order the mattress very soon just want some advise about my choice.

Hi irshaulo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]after long months of hard research,
I have decided to buy a Memory foam customizable mattress from one of the members list of this website MEMORY FOAM COMFORT.[/quote]

As you’re aware, Memory Foam Comfort is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about memory foam and I would trust the advice that they provide you.

[quote]This is the mattress composition:
4 Rearrangeable comfort and support layers, each with a unique feel and function:
2" CIRRUS MEMORY FOAM 4 lb/ftÂł / 12 ild : this layer I asked if they could change it for another type of memory foam they have which is 5lb and has an open cell technology which is supposed to make it cooler than other memory foams. They said they can change it for that one.
2" ORGANIC DUNLOP LATEX 5 lb/ftÂł / 20 ild :
2" HIGH RESILIENCE FOAM 3 lb/ftÂł / 30 ild :
BONUS LAYER 2" HIGH DENSITY FOAM 2 lb/ftÂł / 40 ild:
MATTRESS SUPPORT CORE
4" HIGH DENSITY FOAM 2 lb/ftÂł / 40 ild :[/quote]

The layers within the mattress are all using high quality materials and there would be no “red flags” in the componentry you’re choosing ,especially the upgrade to the 5 lb memory foam on top.

I’m sorry to hear about your muscular dystrophy. You are correct that one of the advantages of a configurable system (besides being able to fine tune the comfort), is the ability to replace layers instead of replacing the entire mattress.

I wouldn’t be able to predict the durability of the mattress for you, as this comes down to many complex variables (see post #2 here). I can tell you that while all of the layers of a mattress work together, the uppermost layers do go through the most mechanical stresses, and this uppermost layer would be the one where you would be able to tell the biggest difference in wear, and also the layer that you would notice the biggest difference when replacing.

You would want to place this upon a firm and flat surface. There’s a bit more detail about appropriate foundations in the foundation thread here. If you do decide to go with a solid deck, I would recommend something like a coir bed rug on top of the plywood deck to help promote air circulation.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply, your answer and recommendation has really make it much easier for me to confirm that this is a good choice of mattress for me. I will look into the bed rug. Thanks!!!

Hi irshaulo,

I’m glad the information here has been helpful to you!

Phoenix