Advice on new mattress that I'm considering, please.

Hi ATX2014,

Like you … in my own conversations with several Urban Mattress stores I have found them to be knowledgeable and helpful. They have also been willing to provide the specs for their mattresses when possible but the ability of a retailer to provide the specs for their mattresses is always limited to the transparency of the manufacturer itself so it can depend on which mattress you are considering. A forum search on Sherwood (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them.

You can see some of my thoughts about Sherwood Bedding in post #2 here and as you can see in post #2 here I would consider some of their mattresses but I would be cautious with others depending on the specifics of the materials inside them.

[quote]You can see the specs/layers on Sherwood’s site, page 4 at this link:
sherwoodbedding.com/wp-content/uploads/2...igis_032013_CPA3.pdf

And pictures here:
sherwoodbedding.com/evosleep-bio-temp/

I know you would probably like to see some more specifics on densities and size of certain layers, but I thought this was at least a good start (didn’t know to ask for those when I was in the store, but can call and get them obviously). A major concern that you’ve made clear on your site is the use of low quality polyfoam in the comfort layers.[/quote]

As you mentioned the description is missing the information about the density/quality of the layers and I would definitely want to know the specifics of the materials inside this mattress (see this article) so you can make sure there aren’t any weak links in terms of durability (see post #4 here) and so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses that are among your finalists based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Celsion (now called Talalay GL fast response) is a good quality material but I would especially want to know the density of the polyfoam layers in the mattress.

I’m not sure what size you are considering or whether it’s the mattress only or includes the foundation but you are in a fairly high budget range that would include some high quality mattresses (including some that are all latex) and in this budget range I would want to know there were no questionable materials in my mattress.

Phoenix