Advice on splitting the difference for 2 sleep needs? Considering Dreamfoam UD vs Casper

I am so grateful for all the information! My partner and I have reached a point where we’re ready to pull the trigger, but we are having a hard time deciding between two needs in online buying. She is a 115# side/stomach sleeper, and I’m a 170# side/back sleeper. I can sleep comfortably on most surfaces softer than the ground, but I sleep very warm. We don’t want to get separate beds, so we’re trying to choose one that will fit the both of us.

To the point: We have some friends who love the Casper, and we’ve tried it out a bit and she is in love. I found it good, but am concerned that the memory foam layer will leave me sweating.

I’ve landed on the DreamFoam UD Latex as my top choice. She is concerned that the latex won’t provide the give she needs for her curves.

I’m wondering if we went for a softer choice like 7-8 on their 10pt scale, could we expect the give/support comparable to the feel of the memory foam? Is the construction of the Casper, with latex on top of memory foam sufficient to alleviate the temperature trapping qualities of the memory?

Thanks!

Hi kansashane,

The amount of give will vary with the firmness that you choose but soft latex has lots of “give” and can be very contouring and as pressure relieving as memory foam. If you have concerns then it may be an idea to test some softer latex mattresses locally so that she has a better sense of what latex can feel like in different firmness levels.

There is more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here (including your mattress protector, sheets, and bedding) but it will also depend on your physiology and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range so it isn’t really possible to predict until you sleep on it. For most people it would be fine but for a few it may be a little warmer than some other types of mattresses and in this case you may need to compensate in other ways (bedding, bedroom temperature, mattress protector, a mattress pad, sheets etc).

While both memory foam and latex can be very pressure relieving in a suitable thickness and firmness level (they both come in a range of firmness levels) … they have a very different “feel” (see post #2 here). Memory foam is also only used in comfort or transition layers and it’s used for pressure relief … not for support. Pressure relief, support, and “feel” are all very different things.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict whether any specific mattress will be a good match for someone else in terms of PPP based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” and when you can’t test a specific mattress in person … then the the best source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer or retailer who will know more about their own mattresses and how well they are likely to “match” different body types and sleeping positions based on the “averages” of their customers than anyone else and can help “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the best chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If you are buying a king size then the Dreamfoam latex mattresses have a split layering option where each side of the mattress can have a different firmness level that can be customized for each of you that may also be worth considering.

Phoenix

Great advice Phoenix! We’ll be making the trip over to the Mattress Lot in Portland to see some softer latex mattresses in person, and talk with the people there about our dilemma.

Hi kansashane,

You may have seen this already but post #2 here includes a list of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Portland area that may be helpful.

The 45th Street Bedding mattresses at The Mattress Lot are Dunlop latex mattresses and may be in a firmer range and it may be a good idea to test some softer Talalay as well (the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams latex mattress uses Talalay in the comfort layers).

Phoenix