Advice on which mattress material is best for heavier people

Hello,

DH and I will be replacing our 8 y/o, queen sized, pillow top innerspring mattress in the very near future. Whatever mattress we get will be king sized and used on an adjustable base. I am 5’8" 175 lbs and DH is 6’2" 260lbs. I am wondering what types of mattress would be recommended for us. I have read the shopping tutorial and understand about the PPP. We have gone to a few big named stores and tried out some of the mattress using the guidelines listed here and we both felt that the mattresses in the tempurpedic cloud line felt the best for both of us (both 95% side sleepers ).

I have learned through this site that tempurpedic does not necessarily use top quality materials in their mattress. So we have ruled them out but it lead me to question if memory foam would even be the best material for us.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Hi MrsCangoods,

Tempurpedic in general does use good quality materials but for most people they certainly wouldn’t be in the best “value” range compared to many other smaller manufacturers that use similar (or in some cases better) quality materials that are in much lower budget ranges. You can read more about Tempurpedic in posts #1 and #2 here.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

While the process of how to choose a mattress would be the same … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If you are also looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses (including memory foam) in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and return/exchange policies that would be well worth considering.

Phoenix

I am in New Jersey 07063.

Thanks

Hi MrsCangoods,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Monroe Township/Newark, NJ areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #7 here.

Phoenix