Advice when your foundation won't fit upstairs

Hello,
First-time poster here, although I’ve certainly enjoyed your discussions and plentiful information on the world of mattresses.

My husband and I purchased an Ikea Morgongava queen mattress last weekend, after already owning two twin Edseles and loving them very much.

The issue is, while we were able to flex the Morgangava and get it up our narrow, turned staircase, the Atloy foundation we selected obviously doesn’t flex and will not make it upstairs, unless we resort to drastic measures such as disassembling our railing then reinstalling it.

Has anyone tried, or does anyone think it would be fairly simple, to disassemble the Atloy and carry it up in pieces? Right now it is leaning against the wall in our living room, in its packaging. We are loathe to remove the original packaging as we understand we can’t return for a full refund without it.

About returning it, I’m open to the idea, but want to replace it with a foundation that is either split or assemble-it-yourself (surprised Ikea doesn’t offer such a thing) and has a no-flame retardant cover. The Atloy uses wool and that fits the bill. Advice? I see US Box Spring had a DIY foundation but it looks like it has a organic cotton cover, which from the research I’ve done probably means it still has flame retardant. Also, it seems their website is non-functional now so I’m wondering if they’re even still in business.

Right now we have the Morgongava resting on the split box springs of my 13-year-old Ethan Allen coil mattress. Could we keep using these, possibly with an easy modification? I really want to use the Atloy as it was made to work in conjunction with the Morgongava but I’m willing to try anything at this point.

Thank you.

Hi Chris248989,

The Atloy is a box spring with springs inside it (not a foundation) and it might be quite a challenge to disassemble and reassemble it.

Their website is functioning now so it must have just been down temporarily and they are still in business. They would be able to tell you the specifics of the fire retardant they use (most likely an inherent fire barrier).

I don’t know the specifics of your box springs but a latex mattress generally does best on a firm non flexing support surface although if you have have tested it specifically on a flexible support surface (such as a box spring or a foundation with flexible slats) and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then these would generally be fine (particularly for thinner mattresses). There is more about the different types of support systems that generally work best for different types of mattresses and some good sources for each of them in the foundation post here.

Phoenix